IX.

Thank you all for over 500 reads! Please remember to vote, comment, etc if you like the story, it encourages me to update 🥰

You rushed to get your things from your dorm, and of course Hermione was sitting in bed with her nose in a book. Her head snapped up when you walked in, clearly trying to read you. You offered a tight-lipped smile, and then scrambled to your area of the room.

You threw your uniform into a small bag, as inconspicuous as you could find, then picked out some pajamas, a pair of red and white plaid pants, and a grey tank top. You threw some underwear and a sports bra in the bag as well, about to rush off to the showers.

"So, it went well then?" Hermione asked, trying not to laugh.

"Uh, yeah, I'm just going to hit the showers and head back, you know."

"You're covered in hickeys, Alice Hart," she tried to say sternly, but giggling between her words.

"Should see the other guy," you scoffed, trying to hurry to the washrooms.

"Be safe! And don't get caught!" She called back to you, still laughing to herself.

     You kept your shower as quick as possible, eager to get back to your favorite redhead. It felt good to stand in the hot water, but once you caught a glimpse of yourself in the mirror afterward, you decided to run back to your dorm and grab a t-shirt, or something that would cover up more skin. Ron had really marked you as his earlier, he must have been really trying to prove a point.

Hermione had already fallen asleep with her book, so you were careful not to wake her. You slipped a t-shirt on over the tank top, and hurried back to the boys' dormitory. You knocked quietly, and Ron came to the door, having just taken a shower as well.

"Neville's got back, he's passed out," he said quietly.

"How trashed was he?"

"He didn't remember which bed was his and asked me to feed Trevor. He's going to be so pissed in the morning," Ron chuckled, and then pulled you into a warm hug.

"Thanks for staying with me tonight. I am really hungry, though. Come set your things down so we can go down to the kitchens?"

      You were hungry too, so you set your small bag down on Ron's bed. He'd changed the sheets and blankets out with fresh ones already.

"Do you ever get in trouble sneaking down?" You asked.

"Nah, they can't deny us food can they? I go down nearly every night. Come on!"

     The kitchens were slightly eerie, being in the dungeons, and so close to Slytherin House. It was cooler, and damper down here.

    Ron approached one of the many house elves working around the kitchen, cleaning and likely starting to prepare breakfast for the next morning, and asked them for some snacks. He came back with a large plate of bacon and a bowl of fruit, and a few moments later a house elf named Winky had brought you some tea. You thanked her for the food and drinks, but she just nodded at you, looking a bit dazed.

"This is nice. Maybe we should just go on dates to the kitchens from now on," you said, not even half-joking.

"Well maybe we can come here late nights, but I'd rather take you on proper dates. Show you off, y'know?"

You smiled, reaching for a strawberry.

...

When you got back to the boys' dormitory, everyone was in their bed, passed out with their clothes on. You knew they all had classes tomorrow, so you and Ron left water by each of their beds before climbing into Ron's bed.

"They're going to be hungover, and Harry is a right prick when he's got one," Ron told you.

You laughed nervously, not anticipating dealing with that the following morning. 

Ron took this time to tell you about his love for Quidditch, specifically the Chudley Cannons, and his own short-lived Quidditch career at Hogwarts. 

"I really shouldn't have won that game, I'm not sure how that happened to this day," he murmured, smiling while he reminisced.

But then his face fell. 

"What's wrong?"

"Just an unpleasant train of thought. Don't worry."

"Well, you can talk to me if you want, but I won't force it..."

"I don't want you to get the wrong idea... I didn't... love Lavender or anything. But she was part of Gryffindor, and we had some good times together. Her and I wouldn't have ever worked out, and it had been over quite a while... but..."

"But...?" 

"Well, we watched her die... I watched her die." 

"I'm sorry, Ron," you whispered, reaching for his hand. 

He was quiet now, his eyes welling with tears. 

"I know that must have been really hard for you, Ron, but it's not your fault."

"I know it isn't, but sometimes I still think of her, just lying there. And I could've been nicer to her..." 

"Everyone treats people badly sometimes, Ron... I'm sure she knows you didn't mean it."

"Bloody hell, I hope so.. She really was brave at the end."

"I wish I could've been here, when everything happened. I remember the announcements at Ilvermorny, and they almost shut down the school there, too.."

"You do not wish you'd been here... It was awful. We almost lost Fred, George lost an ear. Lots of good people died.. I'm just glad it's over.."

...

     The rest of the night was spent speaking of happy memories, and getting to know each other better. You learned that his favorite color was orange, his favorite food was bacon, and his Patronus was a Jack-Russell terrier. Your Patronus was a red fox, which contrasted nicely with his. 

A/N: I know that we don't actually know if Lav is dead or not, I just assume she is because we never hear of her again. :)