I.

The war had left even the muggle world in ruins. You knew this, because you were Muggle-born. The constant threat of destruction lingered in your mind, even after Voldemort's defeat. You knew your family felt uneasy at the thought of you returning to school.

You'd attended Ilvermorny previously, but your father had been deployed to RAF Croughton, to oversee the operations of the Air Force in Northamptonshire, England. This, of course, meant another transfer. You were somewhat used to this by now, after transferring several times while attending Muggle schools. You'd never transferred wizarding schools before, though, and transferring directly to the site of the battle itself was a bit unnerving.

Still, you were ready to get out of the country, and see new things, meet new people, and finally, graduate from school.

     "ALICE!" your father called up the stairs, already exasperated so early in the day.
"I told you to get your things together! I need you downstairs, we're leaving soon!"

    You sighed, casting Reducio on the rest of the items in your bag to shrink them. You had to fly today, and it didn't ever rub you the right way, whether on broomstick or airplane. Ironic. Your father was Air Force.

...

     The flight was long, and you tried helplessly to sleep. Eventually, it was time to prepare for landing. The plane tilted downward at a sharp angle, sending butterflies through your stomach. You hated this part.

     The wheels finally touched the ground, and with the impact, a sense of relief washed over you. For someone as confident as yourself, you knew your fear was visible. You pushed it down.

     Once off the plane, your father took you to your new "home."

 "Your mother will be meeting us here tomorrow. Today was her last day of work, so she won't be leaving Ohio until tomorrow."

"Okay, where should I put my things at?"

"There's three bedrooms upstairs, take your pick. We can grab something to eat when you've settled," your father replied.

     You settled on the room at the end of the hall, it had a small bathroom attached, and would look nice enough once it was fixed up. Though, you'd only be here a few days before you had to go to your new school.

...

     Your mother arrived the next day, as expected, and as scatterbrained as ever. She was trying to unpack some of her kitchen supplies when you heard a loud CRASH! She giggled, then groaned in frustration. 

"Allie! Can you please come help me sort some of this out?!" she pleaded. 

You giggled to yourself when you walked in the kitchen, a mess of pots and pans cluttering the counters, floors, and table. 

"What exactly is going on?" you asked, bewildered at the mess.

"I'm just no good at organizing these things. Are you allowed to use magic to help your dear old mom?" she asked, hopeful. 

"I suppose so," you said, stifling another laugh.

     The rest of the day, you helped your mother unpack and organize most of the house. Your father came home with fast food, and you were relieved. At least you wouldn't have to help her cook, too.

...

     The days went by quickly, and you'd decorated your room, and packed your school bags. You lay restlessly in bed, anxious for what may happen at the first day of your new school tomorrow. You wondered which house you'd be sorted into. You were in Thunderbird at Ilvermorny, so Gryffindor would make sense. 

     But, what others may see as bravery, you saw as pure impulse. You didn't think before you spoke, or did something rash. It was normally the right decision, although your mouth had gotten you in trouble at times. 

(A/N: Sorry this chapter is short and boring, I have to kind of set it up I guess! Next chapter will be better, I promise!)