II.

"Hart, Alice!" Minerva McGonagall called out.
You felt many sets of eyes follow your movements as you rose from the table with exclusively First Year students.
This was awkward.

The old, raggedy hat was placed on your head. At Ilvermorny, the House mascots chose their students by hand.
"Hmmm. Impulsive or brave?" the Hat spoke quietly, "I sense both... and determination," you snickered, there really wasn't much that could get into your way.
"GRYFFINDOR!" the Hat exclaimed.

You were ready for people to stop staring at you, any time now. You saw the Gryffindor table, and noticed that they were all clapping and smiling at you. You sat down awkwardly, a small, tight-lipped smile on your face.

"Why were you just sorted? You have to be seventh year!" a boy next to you inquired.
"Oh, uh, I'm from America, I was going to Ilvermorny," you replied.
"That's neat! I'm Neville," the boy said, a kind smile on his face. "Alice is my mother's name..." he trailed off.
"Oh, I like to be called Allie," you said, "But either is fine."

A girl with curly dark hair came to sit on the other side of you. You didn't like this attention, but you wouldn't let that show.

"Alice, is it? I'm Hermione Granger! It's good to meet you!"

"Hi, Hermione, it's good to meet you too! You can just call me Allie."

"A-Are you American?" she asked, curiously.

You giggled at her shock.

"Yes, I was attending Ilvermorny, but our family was relocated."

"Well, that is brilliant and unusual! What is it like, Ilvermorny?" she gushed, but two boys followed behind her.

You knew who one of them was. You saw the scar and knew immediately. Harry Potter. The Boy Who Lived.

The other boy, though, you didn't recognize. You wanted to know him. He towered a few inches over the Potter boy. He had messy, ginger hair, and beautiful blue/grey eyes. He gave you a small smile, and you almost choked.

"Um- it's not as elegant as Hogwarts," you said honestly. "It's quite a bit more casual."

"Well, you'll have to see how the classes differ as well then, that's so exciting! I'd love to go to another school to see what it's like!"

You offered a polite smile, and Hermione's friends sat next to you as well. They introduced themselves, and you found that the attractive ginger-haired boy was named Ron. Ron Weasley.

Were they always this outgoing?

Who were you kidding? Normally, you were outgoing, but this was a huge adjustment, and you were suffering from culture shock.

You did your best to include yourself in their conversation, and they had so many questions about America, and your accent and dialect.

Ron ate a lot. You'd think he was starving, but the feast prepared for the beginning of the year was exceptionally delicious.

"Come on, Allie, we've got to show you our Common Room!" Hermione exclaimed, grabbing your hand and pulling you towards a corridor with surprising strength.

(A/N: Hi there! I hope this chapter is a bit better. I know it's a slow start but I have lots of good ideas! :))