Eleven

Monday classes went fast. I was expecting to deal with a guilty Greg but he was not present in our classes. I guess it was actually in favor of me. My mind is not yet prepared for another confrontation. Besides, I’m still processing the words I read last night. Those messages kept me wandering off the point and it never helped me to focus on the lessons. I suppose I’ll rely on self-study once again.

I want to consider that the whole thing last night was just a big joke. It just has to be a big set of comic story we decided to make. My way of thinking that time was surely disarrayed. I know me and the me I know will by no means do such thing.

Efrain was calling and sending messages all day long. I wonder what time it is in Canada and if he got some time to sleep cos he just kept on ringing my phone. I never answered any of the calls but I replied to him, saying that I have classes. After sending that, he stopped the calls but kept with messaging me. Let’s leave it to him being all crazy.

“Katie, wanna join?”

Anne interrupted my thoughts.

“S-sorry, what?”

“Oh, where were you? Jenna said Sy is having a party tonight and Jenna wants to come. I wanna go too. So, you in?”

“Can we go home first? I don’t want to go all dressed with our fabulous uniforms.”

“Yeah, that’s actually the plan.”

We walked our way to the main gate. Upon reaching the spot, my feet were suddenly brought to a standstill by the unexpected sight.

“Hey Gregie!”

Anne squeals. Tell me she is aware of what happened yesterday.

Greg is standing beside his parked car, waiting for something, or someone.

“Hey, uhm, I am actually waiting for you, guys. You’re going to Sy’s too, right?”

“Yeah. Anne,  Kate and I”

“Great, hop in.”

Greg smiles but it is too obvious that he can’t look straight in my eyes. He didn’t even acknowledge my presence. He used to greet me first, always. When he opened the door for us, he smiled to Anne and Jenna but looked away when it was my turn to go inside his car. This is nowhere near awkwardness. Never will I be prepared for this great shift.

“So Gregie, why were you absent?”

Anne asks after two minutes of being seated. Greg lets out a small chuckle and starts the car.

“I was with my mom. Her driver is sick so I have to drive for her.”

The passenger seat next to Greg is empty. It used to be occupied by me. It used to be. He tried to make me sit there, though. He held the knob but I quickly went inside with my two girls, leaving him with no choice but to just close the door. I was rewarded by two sets of eyes blazing with pure maliciousness.

“How’s Kelly?”

Jenna throws the biggest question to Greg. I almost thought Greg would dramatically hit the break to add the greatness of the moment.

“I don’t know.”

“What? But you two are together now, yeah? So how come you don’t know?”

“We were never together. I tried but no body contact can change what I feel.”

Greg’s eyes never left the road.

The two stopped themselves from screaming by covering their mouths with their hands. I swear they look ridiculous with the reaction, gestures and all.