Nine

A knock on my door woke me up.

A knock... so it must be Jenna. I opened the door and to my surprise, its Anne.

“Hey, uhm. It’s Sunday, right?”

“Yeah, any problem Anne?”

I can see fret in her eyes. It’s the fist time I saw Anne like this. I grabbed her arm and pull her gently into my room. She sat on my bed and just stayed staring at my Teddy Bears for almost a minute. If it wasn’t for another knock on my door, she could have stayed staring for minutes. What is wrong with her?

"Hey Jenna"

"She's there, isn't she?"

"Yeah. She's not okay."

We asked Anne what's wrong. She said she received a call from her aunt, telling her that her mother passed out and she can't do anything for she's too far from her. She was relieved knowing that her mother is fine now but it doesn't stop her to be deeply concerned. Right after her explanation, she broke down. I can't help but to shed tears too. Besides the fact that I have shallow tears, I haven't seen Anne this down. I love this girl and seeing her so broken hurts me too.

"I know it's hard but you have to be okay. Just be optimistic Anne. Look, she's okay now, right? You think she'll be pleased knowing that you're a mess right now cos of the news?

Jenna is right. Anne's mom will surely not be happy about it. Anne kept on nodding while Jenna was talking. She really tries her best to comfort Anne. As I saw Anne's face losing it's clouded state, I broke my silence.

“Anne, know what? Call her to assure that she’s fine and when you’re back to yourself, we can go out. It’s Sunday, we can go to Robinsons after the mass. What do you think?”

I said, making the most cheerful tone I can make in this situation while we were in our small group hug.

 “Okay, I’ll call her now. Jenna’s treat!”

At last, the Anne I know is here again. I know she’s not all good but her smile lightens up my worry for her. It's relieving to see a spot of light in her eyes. It was pure black minutes ago.

Just after they went out of my room, I opened my closet and put out my usual attire – Plain V-neck shirt, black pants, white high sole sneakers. I know I planned of spending this day by doing a lot of advance reading while playing all my One Direction songs but Anne needs me and I will always choose her over being ahead in terms of lessons.

We are to attend the 2PM mass then go to the mall after. We can’t attend after 2PM cos it’s the last hour for English mass.

Jenna and Anne just rushed inside my room while I was pulling my hair to a ponytail.

“Ready Katie?”

“Almost, can you get my backpack purse, please?”

I throw my handkerchief, perfume, alcohol, lip balm and pressed powder inside my bag then went out with them. Wait, I think I forgot something. My wallet? Yes, indeed it is my wallet. I put it in and went out.

-_-_-_-_-_-_

The taxi driver drives like a mad man, racing down the street like we're in Nascar. Jenna warns him to slow down a bit a few times now but he doesn’t seem to mind. All we can do is to roll our eyes and silently pray. I think this driver needs a slight hit on his head, just saying.

“We could just ask Greg to drive us there, you know.”

“Jenna, enough with Greg. I don’t want to abuse his feelings for me.”