Sixteen

I am in a place where there's no escaping, well that is if I won't decide to jump off of this car. I stopped the casual glimpses cos I always end up catching him doing the same and it doesn't help me from keeping a calm state of mind.

I thought he'll talk more inside his car, but no, he's mostly focused on the road. Not a bad thing tho. He spared some words like "the streets are similar to Mexico" and "I'm gonna love driving here".

The streetlights seem brighter as we trip around EDSA. Greg turned right and stopped at Starbucks. Yes! This kind of moment calls for a frappe! Greg knows me well.

Or maybe they're just sleepy.
Oh shut up, you crazy lady in my head!

"Starbucks? Nah."

"Why? I love their frappes and red velvet, oh, and Oreo cookies and-"

"But-"

"And I love the ambiance too! I like their espresso! And do you-"

He laughs, cutting my sentence then he said

"Okay, okay, point well delivered but I just happen to know a local café or two in Canada that makes better goodies for a cheaper price."

"Excuse me, mister, but this is no Canada."

"I know. And stop pouting cos you look cuter."

Am I pouting?

"I love Starbucks, period."

"Cute Kate, cute."

He parks well. Nice. Smooth. I was about to remove this belt but his hand stopped me. He pushed the button, freeing me from the seatbelt then holds my wrist. Okay, I'm not ready for this.

"Can we go out and be with my friends now?"

"First, I think it's 'friends and a lover' because obviously, Greg likes you, loves you, even, I think..."

He moves closer but not too close to activate my panic alarm system.

"... Second, don't you want us to have our own time? Don't-"

"We will have our-"

He rests his index finger on my lips, silencing me. So much for first meetings, ha.

"Wait, I'm not finished yet..."

You win, Efrain, you win THIS TIME. I will just keep my mouth shut til he's done talking.

"Third, of course we'll join them. But fourth, I just want you to know that I'm happy that you're with me. I'm really happy. Fifth and final thing for now, you look absolutely stunning, like I'll have to keep my alert state for possible threats, threats that might steal you away from me."

What were the first four things? I think I forget them as my mind froze after he said the fifth thing. Now I'm really 'shutting up'. No, I can't shut up! I'll look like a dumb.

"Me? Stunning? Are you crazy? Let's go, before you say more insane things!"

His tender grip on my wrist is calming but I have to move away. Aside from the fact that there are three sets of malicious eyes, or worse, even more sets, staring at us, I'm out of words to hide the sudden leaping of my insides whenever I look at him - which is strange -, especially when he says these things that cast their effects on me, making my heart rather stop or speed up beating. He makes my heart and heaf confused as hell. Crazy thing is it's less than an hour that we're together yet I'm feeling this way.

Thank goodness he frees my wrist and starts to check his phone and wallet. After securing them in his pocket, he turns to me.

"Let's go?"