Thirteen

SOPHIE POV

We both get out of the car, he picks up his things, I pick my book up. We both step into the building which is in full chaos. People who are all in gowns or scrubs are yelling. A nurse walks over to dad.

"What happened?" He asks.

"Bus crash. There were 40 people in all, 30 are still here." She says. 

"Get me a gown." He says to the nurse.

"Right away."  She says and walks to get him a gown.

"Sophie, you know my office. Right?" He asks me.

"Yes, I do." I say.

"Take my things and you can sit there and do anything just dont touch anything you know you should not." He says passing me his coat, car keys, and his bag.

"Okay," I say take his things and I run into a doctor who was running and fall.

"I am sorry. Are you alright?"  He asks.

"I am fine". I say it wasn't really a fall just a trip that was not nasty.

He goes on his way. I now go up to dad's office while avoiding all the chaos which was difficult as there were many people with blood flowing out like the water in a fountain. It didn't disgust me. I just carried on my way. I reach Dad's office, and open the door and sit on his chair. After a while, someone comes in with a file in hand.

"Dr. Walker, you need to look this over."  She says.

"He is not here."  I say.

 "Oh, you should not be in here you need to get out". She says sternly.

"He sent me here," I say.

"Who are you?" She asks.

"I am his daughter, Sophie." I say.

"Oh, sorry I am Mary, his assistant. I didn't recognize you."She says.

"It's fine mary. Can I call you Mary?" I ask.

"Of course, you can. "She says walks up to me and extends her hand.

"You can call me Sophie then," I say while shaking her hand. 

"Great then Sophie. Do you know where he is?" She asks.

"I heard him and a nurse talking about a bus crash and people a lot of people were coming in."  I say.

"A bus crash I didn't know, so I guess he will have to look over this later then."  She says and sits on a chair.

"When did you start working here?" I ask.

"This week,even he hasn't met me yet." She says. I nodded. 

"Sophie I will be off now. Tell him that he has to look over these files." She says pointing to the files.

"Alright, I will." I say.

I read my book for a good not disturbing hour.

I then check the time on my phone it was only 8 am.

Dad still didn't come up to his office, I figured that would be stuck in surgery as that's what happened when he was home late sometimes.

An hour later...

Dad stepped into the room.

He cursed under his breath. He never cursed.

"What happened?" I ask.

He looks up. "You didn't hear that. Right?"  He asks.

"I did. But it's alright." I say.

"Okay". He says.

"What happened?" I ask.

"Nothing". He says.

"What's this file for?" He asks picking the file and opening it.

"Mary said that you need to look this over." I say remembering what she told me.

"Now who's mary?" He asks.

"Your new assistant." I say.

"Ah, yeah, I remember them telling me about a new assistant."He says.

"Dad, did people die in that bus crash?" I ask I was thinking about it for a while.

"There were around 40 people in there, 20 of them are critical, 10 of them are fine, 5 of them are still in surgery I don't know what will happen to them and 5 died". He said.

"Did yours die?" I ask.

"I don't know. He may not even survive the next hour. He is a young teenage boy." He says.

"Alright. I can go out if you wanna be alone?" I say.

"No, stay here I need to go anyways. " He says.

"Alright". I say.

"Pass me my coat." He says. I pass him his coat. 

"See you later. "He says and steps out of the room.

I spend the next 5 hours in his office only. I was now hungry. I decided to step out.  I see dad in a room,  a boy probably my age in the bed. It would be his patient. I think to myself. I step into the room.

"Do you need something?" He asks getting up.

"Nope. Can I sit here?" I ask.

"Yeah, sure but be quiet." He says. I sit on the couch that was there.

"Dad aren't his parents here?" I ask whispering.

"They are yet to come." He says whispering.

Dad's phone buzzes.

"They are here, Come with me."  He says getting up.

"Okay. "I say and follow him.

We both rush down the stairs. We see two people standing there.

"Stay here." He says and walks up to them.

"What happened?" The man asked.

"There was a bus crash. Your son had many injuries, I was able to repair some of them by doing surgery, but the rest of them need time." He says. Both of them nod

"Will he survive?".The woman asks.

"To be honest, he may not. But we don't know anything for now all depends on when he wakes up". Dad says.

"Okay. Can we see him?"The man asks, the woman was almost in tears. 

"Yeah, sure," Dad says.

"Nurse, please take them to 507." Dad says to the nurse.

"Alright, follow me, please." The nurse says and both the man and woman follow her. Dad comes up to me.

" Do You wanna go home?"He asks.

"Is your shift over?"I ask.

"Nope, but this has been an eventful day I am sure you are tired."  He says.

"I am fine, I don't want you to run back,"  I say.

"Fine, are you hungry?" He asks.

"Yeah". I say.

"Let's go to the cafeteria then."  He says.

End