Thirty two

SOPHIE POV 

I fell asleep cause I woke up to dad knocking on the door. 

"How are you feeling?" He asked coming in.

"Sleepy". I said.

"well no one can have a good sleep with monitors beeping but just have this and sleep". He said passing me a bowl. It had soup in it,  I quickly drank it

"Good night". I said passing him the bowl.

" Sleep well shout if you need anything I will be downstairs". He said.

"Alright". I said and he went out.

I took the meds he kept and pulled the covers over me. I was thinking about how life would be if mom was here. But thinking about that, I was asleep soon.

Ashton pov

I went downstairs and Anna walked to my foot. She barked and then at moment I realized that we had no dog food or anything for her. I didn't know any shop like that nearby so I searched for it. One was like 1 mile away.  I decided to walk to it, lock the house as Sophie was sleeping and it would take me 20 minutes roughly. Duke was out of town cause of some conference he was supposed to return  last night he didn't so I was a bit worried. He wasn't answering his phone so that just raised the level. I got the dog and pick the keys, wore my shoes, got out, and locked the house. Anna started running in front of me so I caught up to her. Soon, we reached there. I took all the things. Bowl, a leash, food, and some other things. I paid and we both ran back. I unlocked the house and entered,  removed my shoes, and kept the key in the drawer. Anna looked like she wanted to sleep, I was kind of exhausted myself. I didn't get much sleep last night and I just sat down on the couch. I get Duke's mother's call. I pick it up.

" Hey Lisa, what's up?" 

"Nothing much, what about you how is Sophie?".

" She is good, I am good," 

"That's good the reason I called you was duke isn't picking my calls up are you both together so I can talk to him?" 

"Actually no, we are not together he went out of town for a conference and I haven't heard from him since". 

" I am worried. Can you try calling the people where he went?". 

"Sure, and don't worry he must be fine, just lost his phone or it might have died".

" I can't worry sense of a parent". 

"Yeah I know, just try I will get back to you as soon as I hear anything". 

" Thank you". 

"No worries".

I was worried myself but I knew how worried she would be. I quickly called the hotel I knew he was staying in. They picked up after a few rings.

"Hello, I am calling to ask about Dr. Duke who was here for some orthopedic conference". I said.

" May I ask who you are to the person?" 

"I am Ashton walker's close friend of his". I said.

" Yes, he listed you as one of the people who might call". 

"So is he there?"

" He is right here, I will transfer your call to his room". He said and I heard a few beeps then the call went straight to dukes room.

"Hello, Ash I am so sorry my phone died and I forgot the charger at home". 

" Oh, Duke I am glad you're fine. I was worried. You were supposed to come yesterday what happened?". 

"Actually, I had some things today so I am just packing I will be there by tomorrow early morning". 

" Alright. Have a safe drive home." 

"Will do, bye". He said and hung up.

I decided to text Lisa.

L:lisa, A: Ashton.

A: Duke is well and good, his phone just died.
L: thank you so much, Ashton. I am glad he is okay.
A: Yeah, Me too. Take care and see you soon.
L: See you soon.

                          *end of convo*

Now I knew Duke was fine I put my head back. Anna was asleep so I decided to nod off for a while.

*Dream*.

My pager rang it was Sarah to L & B now. It read.

She was working till the second she was in labor and the due date had already passed so Sophie was about to come anytime. I was scared, the pregnancy had been hard on her with her having morning sickness almost every day and not getting much sleep for the past 4 months. 

I quickly ran there and after a few hours of screams and shouts I had Sophie in my arms and now they were checking if she was healthy.  I called Sarah. She didn't respond. I went to her she was passed out and I checked her pulse which was thready. I told the others and they just sent me out with Sophie in my arms. Sarah could die right now and that's all that was on my mind and Sophie was in my arms crying. I rocked her making silly faces. She stopped and smiled a little. Soon, they were out and Sarah was okay. She passed out the cause of loss of blood which was common.

I went into the room with Sophie in my arms.

" Hey". She said weakly.

"Hey, you scared me". I said holding her hand in mine.

" I wouldn't leave you this soon idiot I will annoy till the moment you die". 

"Yeah, that's how I like it". I said.

" Now give her to me". She said.

"Are you feeling okay now?"

" I am, really sore but okay."  I passed Sophie to her. 

"We did it, she's here." 

"We did, She has your smile, I made her smile a little when I took her outside. 

"She has your eyes I think." 

"We'll see later.  I smiled at both of them.

My girls. There and then, I decided i wasn't gonna let anyone or anything hurt them. 

*end of dream*

Flashback dreams I had them often.

I wake up to my phone ringing. It was mom.

"Hey, mom". I say.

"It's me Ash, she had a heart attack we're going to the hospital now." She said.  

My phone dropped out of my hands.