Thirty three

Ashton pov

I froze as Emily said those words.

"Ashton you there?". Emily said.

"Is she okay?" I picked the phone up. 

"I don't know yet Ash." 

"Where are you?" 

"The one where we both work at". She said.

I climb up the stairs and go into Sophie's room. I was about to cry.  I nudge her to wake her up. She wakes up in a few seconds.

"Soph come on wake up we need to go somewhere". 

"Where dad?". She asks.

Sophie pov

"Grandma's having a heart attack we need to go to the hospital". He said.

"Are you okay?" 

"I'm fine, let's just go."

We both ran downstairs. I followed him out of the house and he locked the house. Anna was inside.

He didn't say a word and drove straight there. He sped but I know he didn't care about rules right now. When we reached, he quickly parked. We went inside and to the 4th floor. That was the surgical floor, where all the ORs were. He walked up to a receptionist. 

"Dr. walker what are you doing back here?" 

"My mom's having surgery, you know what OR she's in?" 

"I'm sorry, and i can't tell you that cause you're family to her but I can tell you that they took her for an AVM." 

"Okay, thank you." 

"Dad what's an AVM? 

"AVM is arteriovenous malformation, it disrupts blood flow and oxygen circulation."

"Is it deadly?" 

"Considering grandma's age and other conditions it's a high chance." 

"But there's a chance she'll be okay?" It was highly unlikely but she didn't need to know that right now. I nodded. Emily joined us. 

I talked all medical with her using terms Sophie would not understand but she was zoned out so it didn't really matter.  Mom was going to die. I  was about to break down but I knew I couldn't I had two people depending on me, Emily was crying, and Sophie was zoned out shocked about all this happening.

"Hey soph." I snapped my fingers in front of her face after calming Emily down a bit. 

"Yeah, i'm here dad." I knew she wasn't, she knew she wasn't. 

The surgeons came out. I recognized the main surgeon as Dr. Shawn Tomlinson, head of cardio.

"Hey Dr. Walker." 

"Hey, how's she?" 

"So, she has an AVM, i'm sure you know the details but she only has about 6 months now." Sophie now had tears in her eyes. She hid behind me. 

"Yeah, I know. Can we see her right now?" 

"Yeah, we still have her intubated though." 

"No problem." He walked away. 

We all went into mom's room. She was asleep, but attached to all these wires and tubes she couldn't breathe on her own. 

"Dad will she be okay?" 

"Yes, she'll be in a while." I could tell Sophie wasn't okay she was just pretending to be. 

"I'm just gonna go to the restroom." She said after a while.

"Alright, ask someone if you can't find it." She nodded and went out. 

We were both just sitting by mom, it didn't feel right. 

SOPHIE POV 

I quickly found the restroom and looked at myself in the mirror. Everything was all over the place. I couldn't control myself anymore. I cried and it didn't stop. 

Grandma was going to be dead and I couldn't do anything about it. I just cried and cried. I sensed someone coming in so I went into one of the stalls. 

"Hey I don't know who you are, but i'm a psychologist  here and i'm here if you need to talk and i hope you're okay." 

"I'm okay, and thank you." I sniffled. 

"Everything will be okay love don't worry okay? you'll be fine." 

"Thank you." 

"Come out for me? You sound like you need a hug very badly." He said. 

I went out and he just pulled me into his arms.  I started crying again. He was a stranger but I didn't care. I wasn't okay enough to care. 

"Hey hey listen you'll be okay yeah? no matter how hard it is. Tell me what happened?" 

"My grandma has some thing called AVM in her heart  she's gonna die in 6 months." 

"I'm so sorry love, but it's going to be alright and she wouldn't want you like this yeah? She would want you to be happy i'm sure and i'm sure your mom and dad are searching for you right now. They must be worried about you." 

"My mom's dead and my dad's with his sister with grandma." 

"I'm sorry I didn't know." 

"It's okay it's been a while, thank you for being here." 

"Always, By the way, I'm Elijah, here's my number if you need to talk." He handed me a card. 

"Thanks." He gave me a hug again. 

"Shoot me a text if you need to talk"  I nodded and he went out. I washed my face, calmed myself down a bit, and went out. I saved his number on my phone. 

I walked to grandma's room and I guess I took a long time cause when I went there dad was standing outside with tears in his eyes holding Emily and some doctor was doing CPR on grandma. 

"Sophie." Dad came and held me. 

"What's happening?" 

"Her heart stopped." Then the doctors suddenly shocked her. I was just hugging dad and crying again. All of us were. This went on for another 30 minutes. 

"She won't come back now. Time of death 9:47." The doctor said and everything stopped.