Prologue

"And in your eyes I see the missing pieces I'm searching for. I think I've found my way home." -Savage Garden, I knew I loved you.

--------

The buzzing of Katherine's cellphone woke her up. She glanced at the clock before she reached for her phone on the nightstand, grunting in annoyance.

She looked over to the bed opposite from her to find it empty, which meant her dorm-mate was sleeping elsewhere once again. Sliding her finger across the screen, Katie accepted the call. "It's midnight, Jess. What's wrong?"

Her bestfriend's super excited tone of voice blasted through the small device. "It's your birthday! Why we're not partying right now is still beyond me."

"It's a school night, that's why." Katie mumbled, rubbing the sleepiness out of her eyes.

Jessica huffed, "Who cares? It's your eighteenth birthday, Katie. You could actually meet him tomorrow. Aren't you excited?"

Taking a deep breath, Katie sat straight and removed the covers. "You know I am, but you also know I'm worried just as much."

"I still don't understand why you're so worried. It's called being soulmates for a reason. The attraction of the bond isn't something one can just ignore, Katie." Her best friend explained for the hundredth time this week.

"I'm not worried about being ignored. I'm worried about being rejected." Katie sighed, looking to her right out of the window to the night sky. Her wolf was just as anxious.

"Why would anyone reject you? You're a babe; you know that." Jess argued, making her smile.

"Yes, I know that, but he doesn't. What if he doesn't take a chance with me? What if he is one of those guys who are afraid of commitment and don't even want a mate at all? Or what if he is one of those guys who like to have their options open, moving from one girl to another. You know how easily jealous I could be." Katie whined, voicing out what had been worrying her and her wolf for the past couple of months.

"You're expecting the worst. Anyone in their right mind would take a chance with you, girl. And I'm sure he's not one of those cases you're talking about. The moon goddess wouldn't do that to you." Jess sounded sure enough for the both of them.

"I hope so." Katie got out of bed and walked to the window to open it. The fresh breeze instantly calmed her senses. She could feel her wolf itching for a run in this beautiful, peaceful weather.

"Stop expecting the worst and be optimistic. I mean, what if it's Rick McCarthy, the football captain you used to have a crush on last year? Or what if it's that mathlete with the nice glasses, the one who's secretly in love with you? Or even better, what if it's Alpha Zach? Last I checked the three of them still haven't found their mates." Jess giggled and Katie decided that her life would truly suck without this girl by her side.

"Alright, first of all, Rick and I would never work because he is in fact one of those guys who like to keep playing around and aren't ready for anything serious yet. Second of all, that mathlete has a name and it's Mike and no, he's not in love with me or anything. We're both just nice with each other. Third of all, and most importantly, Alpha Zach has a girlfriend or have you forgotten about Megan? Last thing I need is to be mated to someone who's already taken. Besides, he's 22 now. That's four years to find his mate, which makes me strongly believe that Megan is actually his mate. You know how extremely rare it is for mates to be more than two years apart in age. Four is way too much." Katie explained, refusing to imagine herself with either of Jessica's suggestions.

Jessica huffed once again, "Megan is so not his mate. There's no way she's our Luna. Besides, she's nineteen. If they were mates, the mating bond would have already clicked last year. And yes, Mike is into you. He has been since last semester but you've been too oblivious. Anyway, have some rest now, we have a big day tomorrow. I only wanted to be the first to tell you happy birthday, gorgeous. I love you!" She shouted before hanging up.