Chapter 35

"The words aren't magic, son. The moon goddess isn't an idiot to be fooled that easily. In order to have broken your mating bond, you had to simply mean the words you'd said. You had to actually want to reject Katie. So the question you need to ask yourself now is, did you really want to do that?"

Zach shot up to his feet instantly. He already knew the answer. Yes, he was confused back then, and yes, he had been in love with Megan for years before he had met Kat, but deep down he knew he never wanted to reject her. He just wanted time to let it all sink in, that after four long years he could finally have what he had always longed for. He didn't want to admit it back then, even to himself that he wanted Kat as badly as she wanted him, because he felt as though he was betraying Megan. So he wanted to buy himself some time, and then some more.

But as soon as the words left his mouth he wished he could take them back. Zach's wolf roared inside his head with relief and happiness equally. "The bond is not broken. She's my mate."

Alpha Mark grinned mischievously as his son finally saw the truth behind the lie they had been living. "Since that day you've been neck's deep in your guilt and regret that you couldn't even consider the possibility that you've done nothing wrong in the first place. You never actually rejected her, and what you felt break that day was your own heart, son."

"Holy shit." Zach dragged his hands through his hair quickly, his eyes moving once again to the woods outside. "I have to find her."

"There's something else you need to know first, Zach." His father's voice stopped Zach in his tracks, right before he reached the door.

Turning to face his father, Zach whined impatiently. "What is it?"

"Remember the spell. If you two try to mate, she'll die sooner than she can heal." Zach felt as if he was lifted up to the heavens and then suddenly dropped to the bottom of the earth. He almost dropped to his knees, but his father grinned wider.

"Did you know that in some extremely rare cases, a mate's blood could have healing abilities?" Alpha Mark wiggled his brows suggestively and Zach almost rolled his eyes at how much fun his father was having torturing him.

"Yes, Nick mentioned that before. But I can't take that risk with her. Not if she could actually die." Zach shook his head. They would have to wait, then, until they have killed the witch who cast the spell.

"Did I also mention that those cases were exactly as rare as a soul'slink?" Alpha Mark winked at Zach whose heart was pounding so fast that it ached.

"My blood can heal her." Zach whispered out.

"And hers can heal you. You two are really lucky. Don't ever risk what you have with your mate, even if you have to bite your tongue and shove down those animalistic urges to lock her in a bedroom during a war." Alpha Mark adviced, before his face turned serious. "My guess is that the rogues had a witch put the spell on you after they figured she was your mate. That way, if they were unsuccessful in killing her, you would do it for them."

Zach felt an intense wave of anger wash through him that he let out a low roar.

"Luckily for you, the soul'slink is exactly what will save her. But that peice of information needs to stay absolutely hidden from everyone." Alpha Mark looked his son in the eyes, his warning loud and clear.

Zach nodded his head, before giving his father a bone crushing hug. "Thank you."

"Go get your girl, son." Alpha Mark patted his son's shoulders. "And don't ever let her go."

Zach grinned at his father before rushing out of the house and towards the woods. Shifting in his way, Zach's wolf caught his mate's scent and he followed it with great joy.