Chapter 21

"They say: "All good boys go to heaven." But bad boys bring heaven to you." - Julia Michaels, Heaven.

--------

"You're finally healed, princess. I'm glad you're back on your f--" Jared stopped once his eyes found Katie's neck. Blinking twice, he couldn't help but bark out a laugh at her embarrassed face.

Groaning, Katie slapped his arm. "Stop it." She couldn't deny that it felt wonderful to walk around with evidence that Alpha Zach was now somewhat hers, yet it felt just as embarrassing.

"Wow. At least tell me you enjoyed it." Jared teased her further, happy to see his best friend finally content. Yes, she seemed mad and yes, she was shy about it, but Jared knew her well enough to read beyond that. And in front of him stood a light hearted Katie who was genuinely happy.

"Shut up before I murder you." Turning around, Katie hurriedly made her way to Jared's ride, failing to keep her smile from breaking into her face. Enjoying it couldn't even begin to decribe how she felt. Trying to shove the memory to back of her brain in order to focus on the task ahead, she fastened her seatbelt with a grin. She was going to scold Zach more for this later.

****

"Am I imagining things or are you grinning like an idiot right now?" Nick asked with disbelief as Zach entered his office. Zach's heart was as light as his feet.

Glaring at his best friend, Zach took a seat, his previous memory with Kat refusing to leave his mind. "I'm happy." He admitted with a shrug.

"I can see that. Things going well with Katie?" Nick asked with a wide grin, already certain of the Alpha's answer. Zach seemed happier, younger, and calmer than Nick had ever seen him. Katie was changing him, bringing out the real him, and Nick couldn't have been more grateful.

He had seen how torn and depressed his best friend used to be. For two long years, Nick had to watch Zach get angrier and more impatient everyday than the day before. The pain of waiting hopefully for something as important as one's mate just for it to never show was suffocating Zach. And Nick was truly glad for Megan when she shoved her way into his best friend's life, and finally managed to put a smile on his face. Albeit still being brooding and pissed off most of the time, Zach was finally bearable after getting in a relationship wih Megan.

But now, with Katie, Zach was actually and undeniably happy. And Nick couldn't wait to see how greater of an Alpha his best friend was about to become.

"Yeah." Zach nodded, "did you find anything new?" They were still searching the pack house for any evidence against Thomas or any other traitors.

Nick groaned in frustration. "Nothing yet but we'll keep looking." Once again, Nick debated whether to tell Zach about his worries regarding the rogues and their knowledge of Katie or not. Yet the hint of a smile that remained on his best friend's face helped him reach his decision. He wasn't going to ruin his mood and shove worry and doubt into his heart after he had finally started to find true happiness. Nick was going to deal with this on his own, and until he had solid proof of his doubts he was going to keep it to himself. "I wanted to ask you, who do you want to announce as your new Gamma?"

"Ella." Zach answered. Yes, his little sister had a lot yet to learn but she had good instincts and intuition. She would work well with Nick too, Zach believed.

"Great decision. She'll be a good Gamma." Nick nodded in agreement. She had great potential and would never betray the pack.

"Alright. Let's go through the patrolling schedules for the next few days and the new defense plans before I leave." Zach suggested as he sat down and Nick followed with a pile of papers.