Chapter 4

"Say something I'm giving up on you. I'll be the one if you want me to." A Great Big World and Christina Aguilera, Say Something.

-------

"Are you ready yet? We're gonna be late." Jessica asked as Katie ran down the stairs. The floral white chiffon short dress she borrowed from Jessica made her heavy heart feel a little lighter. Grabbing her white sneakers from beside the front door, she walked back to the kitchen where the twins sat having some breakfast.

"Mom and dad had to rush out to the pack house but they did say hi." Jessica smiled, handing Katie a bowl of cereal. Katie loved Jessica and Jared's parents like they were her own.

"I hope you enjoyed my bed as much as I enjoyed the couch last night, your heighness." Jared grunted sarcastically, stretching his sore muscles. Katie and Jessica both giggled at his grumpiness.

"I did, why thank you. You do have a very comfortable mattress." Katie batted her eyelashes at him and he only rolled his eyes in return.

"Come on, you two, hurry up. I have an Environmental Science class to run to." Jessica rushed to collect her notebooks, leaving the other two to finish their breakfast.

****

"Hey, you." Megan greeted her boyfriend as he walked over to the bench she was sitting on, along with Nick and Sophie, her best friend.

"Morning." He gave them a firm nod. They were all used to his grumpiness anyway.

"Did you sleep well?" Megan asked as she wrapped her hands around his arm, pulling him down to sit next to her. Nodding his head, Zach took a seat beside her.

"We missed you at the party last night. It got so sick after you left. Who knew that nerds could plan parties this well?" The rest of Megan's words didn't reach Zach's ears when he smelled the scent he secretly longed for. Only it was mixed with another.

Frowning, his eyes darted to his left where Katie just walked past the bench he was sitting on with two of her friends, one of which was the male who gave her the necklace she was wearing. Zach noticed that it was indeed his scent on her skin and he instantly got furious. Standing up he excused himself and rushed after her.

Katie felt and smelled her Alpha before she heard him call her name. Turning around, she gave him a weak smile. "Yes?"

"Do you have a moment?" His voice was low yet laced with anger. Nodding her head, she waved back at the twins who stood there with wide eyes, before following him into the nearest building, away from earshot.

"Yes, Alpha?" Katie was nervous that he was going to reject her then and there. Indeed, she wanted him to make up his mind, but that didn't mean she still didn't dread such a moment.

"Call me Zach, and why the hell do you smell like that?" He took a step closer as he asked. He was never a man of many words, yet with her they flew out on their own.

"Like what?" Katie was confused. Yes, she hadn't taken a shower this morning but she had the day before. And Jessica gave her a fresh and clean dress to wear.

"Like the guy you just walked in with, Kat." He spit the words as if they were venomous. Katie raised her eyebrows, shocked for a mere second. The shock didn't last long, however, and was quickly replaced with hot rage.

"Excuse me?" She couldn't help but narrow her eyes at him.

"Why do you smell like him, Kat?" She had never seen him so angry. Yet so was she. The audicity he had to ask her such a question.