Chapter 7

"Out of the darkness and into the sun, but I won't forget all the ones that I love." -Kelly Clarkson, Breakaway.

------

Jared's scent hit Zach like a slap on his face. So this Jared was the guy who Katie stayed with the other night, and the one who gave her her beloved necklace.

"I'm okay." Wrapping her arms around her best friend in relief, Katie promised with a deep sigh.

"Show me your shoulder." Jared pulled her back to examine the wrap she had around her left shoulder before turning his head to his father. "Is she truly alright, dad? Has she started healing?"

"She'll be just fine, son, don't worry. She's a tough gal." Dr. Hall winked at Katie whose cheeks redened and Zach felt like he wanted to smash something.

Clearing his throat a little too loudly, Zach glared at Jared in irritation. Jared snapped his head to see Alpha Zach standing next to his girlfriend looking as pissed off as ever. Flashing on his smirk, Jared gave them a simple nod. "Alpha. Megan."

Megan studied Jared and Katie from afar, silently debating whether they were an item or not, when she heard Zach snort beside her. "Is everything alright?" She asked.

"Everything is peachy." Zach bit the words out, his eyes never leaving Jared.

"Are you ready to go home, princess?" Jared asked Katie with a voice a little sweeter than the usual, making her narrow her eyes at him. "You're staying the night; you know that, right?"

Widenening her eyes in shock, Katie understood what Jared was trying to do, yet before she could respond Mrs. Hall clapped her hands loudly. "That's a great idea, Jared. She needs someone to take care of her. Now go and be safe."

Zach debated throwing everyone out of the room to have a moment alone with Katie and demand an answer about her relationship with this Jared, but he knew that would be catastrophic.

Katie could feel Zach's glare burning a hole in the back of her head as she turned to give Jared's parents a hug each. Saying her goodbyes, she turned to him and Megan and smiled briefly. "Have a good night."

"Night." Megan waved slightly as Zach remained silent, his eyes trailing after Kat, fixed on Jared's hand on the small of her back as they walked away.

****

"Wanna tell me what that was about?" Katie asked once Jared started the car and pulled away from the pack house.

"A little payback? Give me a break, alright? He broke your heart and I had to pick up the pieces and watch you cry over him from a week, Katie. I would punch him in the goddamn face if I could, but he's my Alpha and I can't do that. The least you can do is let me piss him off as I please, alright?" Jared's hands tightened around the steering wheel, and once again Katie felt like the luckiest girl in the world for having him and Jessica by her side.

"Well, thank you. But he didn't break my heart, Jay. He did, but it wasn't just him, I mean. It was a mutual decision." Katie smiled sadly as she turned to face her window.

"Doesn't matter. He still hurt my best friend." Jared spoke the words with grumpiness and Katie decided to leave it at that. What happened had happened. All she needed to do from now on was focus on avoiding Zach for good.

****

Zach walked into his office seething. He had no right to be mad, he knew that. Kat could do whatever she wanted and be with whomever she wished. Their mating bond was broken, he had no reason to feel jealous. It didn't even make sense to him.