Chapter Eight

Being an amateur detective, Nancy could not resist investigating the strange noise. After digging through her handbag for a flashlight, the teen girl entered the dimly lighted hallway, entranced the sound of the music. It sounded otherworldly but somehow familiar. Where had he heard that tune before? It led her up to another stairway to the third floor. The steps creaked under her weight, as she ascended them.

Once she reached the top, she found a dark hallway that looked very neglected and with wallpaper was peeling off the walls in large sections, the carpet on the floor was old and ratty, and the only wall sconce had a broken light bulb making it useless. As she continued to walk down the barren hall, the eerie music grew fainter before suddenly stopping. Nancy stepped forward and tried the doors in the hall. Two of them were locked, one led up to the attic, another was a storage room, the last was an old-fashioned music room.

This room looked abandoned, as well. It had moth-eaten sheer curtains, the faded mint colored wallpaper was peeling off the wall, also there was a thick layer of dust and rubble covering everything in the room. The only furniture that was left in the room was a little wooden chair and an antique-looking baby grand piano was in the middle of the room.

Nancy noticed that some of the piano keys were dust-free proving someone had been in here quite recently. She checked behind the curtains to make sure no one was hiding but found nothing. Nancy scratched her head in confusion knowing there had to be a logical answer to where the musician had gone. The person could not just disappear into thin air, that is impossible.

Finding the search, fruitless she made her way carefully back to her own room. She got under the thick covers and got comfortable. Then, she reached over to the nightstand for her notebook and the letters to find them both gone. She realized that the piano music had obviously been a rouse to draw Nancy out of the room. The letters must have been important with perhaps a clue to this mystery. This girl surrendered to sleep but was determined to work on this more in the morning. That night she dreamed of her cute, college boyfriend, Ned Nickerson.

She was at prom and was wearing a long turquoise-colored gown with white lace across the bodice. Around her neck was a single string of pearls that matched her earrings. She felt very nervous and had trouble speaking clearly to the people who greeted her. "If only someone was here I know." she thought to herself. Nancy felt very out of place here. Watching all the other young girls with their dates dancing made her heartache. "Oh, why did Ned have to choose to attend a college out of town?" she asked herself while pouting in a childlike manner.

Nancy continued to walk around and study the strangely blurred faces in the crowd, then out of nowhere, she tripped. It felt like some sort of forced plotline to the teen, however, just as she was about to hit the hard floor, falling face first, someone caught her. Looking up Nancy saw the cute smile and twinkling eyes of Ned who was wearing a stylish suit. He looked way beyond handsome with his golden-brown hair sparkling blue eyes just made Nancy melt!

She stood on her tiptoes and kissed his cheek gently to thank him. He smiled wide, took her hand in his, and asked her to dance. She replied with just a nod and a smile. They slow danced together to the song," Sandman" while Nancy grinned and blushed. She felt so giddy, excited, and shy all at the same time. The girl could not help but wish the night would never, ever end.

He led her out into a rose garden where they danced again with the lovely fragrance of the flowers swirling around them. When Nancy looked up she noticed a shooting star that raced across the starry night sky. Closing her eyes, she wished to be with her sweet Ned forever. She started to wake, then she realized that she was in a dream. Ned slowly started to lean in forward to kiss but right at that moment, she woke up. Frustrated, she groaned loudly in frustration and pulled the covers over her head.

Bonus Files:

Can you guess my favorite Disney ride? It makes me laugh how many hate the song on the ride, while I find it so adorable. Readers, I challenge you to comment on what your favorite Disney ride is or be driven crazy by the "It's a Small World" theme song! Lol... but seriously I dare you to try to watch the video below to the end! Good luck, Nancy Drew fans...

The above video is in a one Hour Loop, you have been warned.