Chapter Thirty-four

As they arrived at the mansion the couple were greeted at the door by George. "Bess is very upset. She overheard the help talking about some ghost girl. They said she haunts this hall in search of her long lost love. She is described as being lovely, with long red hair in curls, and wearing a white dress. Others say that she looks like a creepy zombie." George explained.

"This is not good," Nancy said as she led the way into an office to talk in private. Nancy knew that she was going to have to find a way to fix this. She thought for a moment before going into detail, "It's true that this place does have a legend about a ghost that has been passed down for generations."

George gave Nancy a questioning look, "Why did you not share this with us before coming here?"

Nancy paced the floor for a bit before replying, "I only recently learned of the fable myself. Both Ned and I have seen a ghost-like woman, however, I am sure that she is just a thief trying to scare everyone away."

Ned chucked for a moment, "Nance, you are making this sound like an episode of Scooby Doo."

Nancy rolled her eyes at him in response before continuing, "I have a hunch that she might be working for the banker but have not been able to flesh out all the details.

"But why did you wait so long to tell me? Do you not trust me?" George questioned with her hands on her hips.

"No, I just did not want to scare Bess. You know how sensitive she can be at times."

While nodding in agreement, George said, "Remember, that I'm here for you if you need any help." When turning to leave the room she added, "I will go explain everything to Bess and try to clam her down."

Not long after, Nancy went to speak with her aunt once more. There she explained in detail about the dairy and asked about the garden and Monte.

"Let me think for a moment. When you get to be my age it takes a little while to recall things, my dear." said the old woman as she arranged some flowers in a glass vase. "I recall my mother once said that the Butterfly Rosen Gardens were once called the Wandsworth Estate and owned by a distant relative. If I am remembering correctly, the family's original name was Monte before all the male descents died out."

"It is still there after all these years? Wow, I never expected that." Nancy exclaimed with great surprise. Nancy knew the necklace just had to hidden somewhere out there but did not share this information freely. The last thing she need was the help overhearing and causing trouble.

"Yes, I hear that the gardens are very beautiful and the grounds are quite large. I haven't been out there in decades but have fond memories of visiting there." said the old women.

"Could you tell me how to get there? I would love to visit with my friends. "Nancy asked as she pulled out a notepad and pen to take notes.

"Of course anything for you dear." replied the woman. She then gave Nancy the directions on how to get there. The garden was out of town about two hours away. Nancy had a hunch that the verse that spoke of moonlight might be the key to finding the necklace. After dinner they piled into Ned's car and drive out to the Butterfly Rosen Gardens. Bess had not gotten back yet from her date with Carter so it was just the three of them going this time.

Just before they left Nancy received a call from the police alerting her that the banker had been caught drunk driving. "Yes! Finally, the police came through!" exclaimed the girl after she was off the phone. Now she just had the catch the ghost girl and the stalker.

The ride there was very quiet, causing the group to feel a bit tense. They arrived at the destination just as the sun was beginning to set. Before them was an impressive garden with a big iron gate all around it. Luckily, the teens found it unlocked and easily entered the grounds. Inside there was an old fashioned greenhouse, an English garden, and in the back was a high hedge maze. In between, there were many beds of varied flowers and bushes.