Chapter Thirty-two

Nancy was still sitting at the kitchen table looking through the diary when snatched the book from her. Nancy looked up at her friend in surprise. Bess's amused looked did not falter as she said,"Jace has been acting really wild. Yesterday. He went around howling at girls, had the nerve to try to put his arm around George, and has been making inappropriate sexual comments at us girls." She sat down and put her arm around George's shoulders. "Nancy, you will never believe this but George went off at him something terrible! You have never seen anything like it."

"Oh come on Bess it was not that dramatic. The guy was a jerk who needed to be put in his place. It is that simple." George tried to comment.

"She told him off, shook her fist and him, and made such an evil face that she had had him speechless!"

"Wow, wish I could have seen it," Ned added, between bites of his small ranch covered salad.

"Ned sounds like you sure did get a behind the scenes tour of this grand old mansion," George said with a sly grin. "Or should I say a behind the walls tour?"

"I am going to have to pass on touring the rest of this place. I would much rather get some fresh air after being trapped like that. "Ned replied, walking up behind Nancy and wrapping his arms around her. "My love, where do you want to go today?"

"I am not really sure. Do you have any ideas?" Nancy replied.

"What about a picnic then. Carter told me about this amazing waterfall that is close to a huge field of wildflowers, not far out of town." Ned whispered in her ear, sending a shiver down her spine.

"But what about my friends? It would be rude to take off without them," she asked gesturing to her friends seated at the table.

Bess cleared her throat and said, "Oh, don't worry about me. I have another date with Carter tonight. He is taking me out for pizza and then to dance out of town. George had said something about wanting to explore the town a little more. I'm sure Carter would be glad to give her a lift."

After a few minutes, the butler entered the room to find all three girls laughing their heads off and Ned just seating there awkwardly silent and blushing. His quirked one eyebrow before saying, "Miss Nancy you have a call from a woman named Miss Jones from the police department."

Nancy looked up and replied, "Thank you for telling me." Looking at her friends, she added: "I will be right back and will just be down in the downstairs office."

Down in the office, Nancy answered the phone, "Miss Drew I have some puzzling news for you. We did find evidence of the dog pack and their tracks were followed, only to find that they were loaded on to a truck and taken elsewhere." said the woman in a tired voice.

"What about the stalker?" Nancy asked.

"After much digging, we were able to find some files on him. It seems he is wanted for pick-pocketing and a small home robbery that happened just over a year ago. We also ran the plate number you gave me it came back stating that it was from a model T car, registered in Riverdale. It seems that the plates were switched at some time in an effort to avoid the police. We are in the process of contacting the plate's true owners at the moment."

"Have you learned anything about the robbery?" Nancy asked as she sat down and took up a pen and paper to take notes.

"Unfortunately, we have not, however, I promise to will you back when something does turn up. I am sorry Nancy but I have someone here at the office for a meeting. I am going to have to let you go now." replayed Jones.

"Thank you so much and I hope to hear from you soon," Nancy added just before hanging up.

An hour later, Nancy and Ned arrived at the edge of the woods. The sun was intense and made their cheeks begin to freckle and sunburn. The bright morning light was blinding, making Nancy regret not bringing her sunglasses.

Ned pulled the basket from the back seat of the car and began to lead Nancy down a rough trail. There was greenery everywhere with many wildflowers scattered along the edge of the trail. This place was pretty and full of life. As Nancy and Ned walked along they heard a bird cry out and spotted a white-tailed Hank flying overhead with what looked at a rabbit in its mighty claws.

Not long after, they spotted an old faded wooden sign that read "Lovers Falls up ahead." with an arrow pointing the way. "It will not be too much longer. Carter told me that this used to be a popular spot many years ago but has been forgotten by most." Ned explained.

"Then how does he know about it?" Nancy asked out of curiously.

"The way I understand it that it if from when his is grandfather used to bring him up here quite often as a kid. Apparently there is a small pond about twenty minutes away that is great for fishing." Ned said as he helped Nancy over a rotten fallen log.

"Oh, Ned I can hear the falls from here!" Nancy exclaimed with excitement as she rushed ahead of her boyfriend. Once there, its beauty took her breath away. Before her was a large waterfall with a huge blue pool below it. All around the edge of the water stood amazing twisting trees that looked to be over a hundred years old. Queens's lace, red honeysuckles, buttercups, and many other types of wildflowers dotted the lovely landscape like gemstones on a necklace.

Ned watched Nancy quietly with a slight grin on his handsome face. He loved to see Nancy this excited and happy. She was like a small child again seemly about to burst with excitement. This side of her was adorable and warmed his heart.

Ned called Nancy over to a nice shady spot under a large hickory tree. They unpacked the picnic and ate the sandwiches, brownies, and honey crisp apples Nancy had packed with care. After that, they went over to the edge of the water and put their feet in the fresh cool water. It was as if all their cares disappeared and the calm just took over. Nancy pulled her bag over and dug for a mint but instead she stumbled upon the photos they had taken at the church instead. How could she be so stupid to forget they had these?

She carefully looked through the many photos. She had gotten many fine ones of Ned and herself. Nancy signed as she stared at a photo of Ned. He just such an amazing guy and Nancy still had such a big crush on him. The next photo though made the breath catch in her throat! It was a picture of the man who had chased her! At least she could now show the others what he looked like.

Bonus Files:

Like this story, reader? If you do, please like and comment. This will help the "Mystery of the Ghost Maiden" become the top Nancy Drew story on Wattpad. Any fan feedback is welcome.