Chapter Eleven

When Nancy went to investigate, she found Bess sitting at the top of the stairs crying into her hands. The girl's makeup was messed up from all the crying and Nancy almost didn't recognize her. 

 "Bess what happened? It sounded like you were screaming bloody murder." Nancy asked as she sat down next to her friend. 

"It's gone Nancy and was never going to find it!" Bess said as she continued sobbing.

"What's gone, Bess? I can't help if you don't tell me what happened,"

"My birthday present," Bess answered.

"Do you mean the radio you got as a birthday gift last month?" Nancy continued.

"No Nancy, it is my locket that  is gone. The rose gold one with the filigree design on top."

" Have you checked your room from top to bottom?" 

George spoke up as she entered the hallway, "We both practically tore this room apart and found nothing." 

With a look of confusion Nancy turned back to Bess. "When did you last have it?" 

"That was last night. I can remember being feeling exhausted. So I took a hot bath before getting ready for bed. I was sure I took the necklace off in the bathroom." Bess explained.

" I saw it in there last night but did not think anything of it at the time," George added.

"Could one of the maids have taken it?" asked Bess.

"Let's talk more about this in private. We don't need the staff to think that we are accusing that just yet." Nancy whispered as she led the others to her bedroom.

Once there George asked, "Should we call the police to investigate?"

"I really don't think the police will be able to help us right now. Besides if my hunch is correct, it might have not been a member of the staff." Nancy answered. "My letters were also stolen. That makes me wonder why would the staff go through so much trouble to distract me? If a maid could have easily taken them while cleaning my room?"

"It sounds like we need to continue to investigate and be on the lookout for anything strange." George suggested.

"That is our best option at the moment." Nancy replied. 

George was gazing out the window when she said, "This must have once been a very beautiful place to live at one time,"

"Based on the stories my mother used to tell me it was lovely.The back garden had once been so large and full of plants that she used to pretend that it was a secret garden like from the classic book.", Nancy explained. 

"It sure is a share that this place looks so run down now." Bess commented. 

"Why don't we help clean up the place a little?" George suggested. "To tell you the truth, I'm staring to feel stir-crazy in this house.  And sense your aunt can no longer afford a landscaper, this would a great way to thank her for the hostility." George added as she ruffled her short hair.

"I like that! While we are out there, keep an eye out for anything out of the ordinary, no matter how small girls. You never know what our next clue could be." Nancy said as she went over to her bedroom to change into some better-suited clothing.

"That is a great idea. I'll go ask my aunt about it." Nancy said as she got up from siting on the bed. 

Bess stood there tapping her foot while staring at her cousin. "Oh great now I have to get all sweaty and ruin my nails. Oh what fun this is gonna be."

George smirked in response, "Working hard and helping others is very rewarding in its own way."

In response Bess pouted as she began to looking for something more conformable to wear while working outside. 

After about thirty minutes, all three girls meet outside in the back yard. "So where do we start? The yard is such a huge mess," asked Bess.

"First we need to get these limbs and twigs moved out of the way before we can do anything else." Nancy explained as she pulled her hair up into a pony tail. 

"Some look to heavy for us to move by our selves. They will have to be cut up and moved by someone else later." George commented.

"That is a point. For now, let's get started with the ones around the outside of the house. I've already got permission by my aunt to burn the wood." said Nancy, as she showed the girls where to put the rubbish for a small controlled burn.

"Good thing we got so much rain the other day. The ground is still moist and will make a controlled fire safer and easier to control, however, it wouldn't hurt to have the hosepipe handy just in case we need it." suggested George. 

The girls had really taken on a task much bigger than they had thought it was going to be. After about an hour of work, Bess had to stop and rest on an old iron bench. She drank some water while resting. Just then a gust of wind blew her hat right off her head and right into the flower beds that lined the house.

"I'll get it Bess!" said Nancy, as she raced after it. Just as Nancy bent over to pick it up, she noticed some footprints in the moist soil. They were much bigger than Nancy's. "Must be a man." she thought. They led through the flower bed and up to a trellis covered in overgrown ivy and honeysuckle.

"Girls come over here quick! I think I found something!" she yelled.

"What is it Nancy?" both girls asked after running over.

"I think we just found how they been sneaking in! See, these footprints lead right up to this trellis and it reaches up to that window up there!" Nancy said.

"What are you doing George? You could hurt yourself!" said Bess, as George started to climb the trellis.

"Just testing this out., it can hold me but is not very sturdy. Whoever climbed this could not have been too heavy." stressed George."

"So, it was a slender man, then. Good thinking George! Look, girls, a cigar butt l is right under the window. This may be a clue."

"But which room is that?" asked George.

"I have a hunch. Bess, I need you to go up to my room and open the window. This might be the cause of the strange noises I heard while bathing before." Nancy added.

"If you say so, Nancy," replied Bess, as she went off towards the back door.

"Finally, the puzzle pieces are starting to fall into place! Nancy exclaimed, joyfully.

"NANCY, UP HERE!" Bess yelled from the window, as she waved wildly. Nancy's room was right next to the one the intruder had been using. This meant that the office window was being used as a doorway!

Bess continued to wave at her friends as she leaned out of the window. Somehow, she lost her balance and tumbled out! God was with her though and she managed to grab hold of the heavy long curtains!

Nancy and George both looked up in terror. Bess was yelling wildly and kicking violently. Nancy was sure that the curtain rod would not last long!

Bonus Files:

Like this story, reader? If you do, please like and comment. This will help the "Mystery of the Ghost Maiden" become the top Nancy Drew story on Wattpad. Any fan feedback is welcome.