Chapter Seventeen

"What is this I hear about us some dates showing up later?" Bess asked, as she carefully touched up her pale pink lipstick.

In response, Ned flashed an awkward smile. "I need some time alone with Nancy. Not wanting to ditch anyone, I arranged to have my nineteen-year-old cousin and his best friend to spend some time with you girls."

"I do not really care what you do, but keep an eye Nancy for us. You know how she so often finds ways of getting into trouble," remarked George.

"I will be glad to," he replied while smiling sweetly over towards Nancy. "Oh look, here comes the guys now!" Ned said as he pointed to a cute white Volkswagen that was coming their way. As it came closer, they could see a shaggy-haired blonde and a black haired man riding in the car.

"Dibs on the blonde!" said Bess as the boys pulled up.

"This wasn't supposed to be a date, Bess. Hey, no fair!" George said while following his cousin down the long driveway. One of the guys whistled at the girls. They made it just as the young men were getting out of the vehicle.

"Girls, let me introduce you to my cousin, Carter Nickerson. He's a mechanic's major at the River Heights University. In fact, he even fixed up this car." Ned said as he gestured for Carter to come stand next to him. Carter was about five foot nine, had sandy dark blonde hair, green eyes, a normal build, but looked just like Ned in the face.

"So nice to meet all of you. I apologize in advance for my friend, Jace. He can be crude at times. You would never guess he's a med major from his manners."

"And this is Jace. He's a total goof most of the time," said Ned, as he shook the boy's shoulder. Jace was shorter and stood at five foot six, had a common hairstyle, had piercing blue eyes, had a slight build, and a goofy smirk he wore quite often.

"Knock it off! You both are just trying to make me look like a total idiot in fount of the girls!" he complained, as he shook Ned off. Then he winked and grinned at Bess. She just rolled her eyes back at him.

"Ignore him, he'll calm down soon enough," said Carter, as he opened the front passenger side door for Bess.

"Guess it's my turn now," said Jace, as he went over to open the other door for George. She made the "I'm watching you" gesture, as she got inside. In response, he just gulped hard.

Before they could drive off Ned and Nancy walked over. "Made sure you both behave yourselves. Jace, you better calm down, they won't like your sense of humor." Ned said as he leaned on the rolled down window frame.

"Got ya, boss, they will have a great time," added Carter just before driving off. Nancy waved to her friends as they disappeared down the road.

"Do you have any idea what movie was going to see tonight?" asked Nancy, as they both got into Ned's car. "I thought you might like to see the new Herbie movie."

"Great idea sounds really fun but how about some sightseeing. I happen to have the perfect place in mind."

"Your wish is my command, my lady."

Bonus Files:

Like this story, reader? If you do, please like and comment. This will help the "Mystery of the Ghost Maiden" become the top Nancy Drew story on Wattpad. Any fan feedback is welcome.