nineteen.

I haven't slept last night. The bags under my eyes would attest of that if it wasn't for the dark bruises that cover the majority of my face, from the inside corner of my eyes to the bottom of my nose. I am almost unrecognizable, I think as I look at myself in the bathroom mirror, gently patting the area with my fingers. The pain is a lot better today, mainly helped by the drugs I got at the clinic yesterday. I spent the night trying to reach James, without any luck. If only I knew where he lived, I would have ran to his place. Unfortunately, I only know his neighbourhood, and unless I knock at every single door there, I have no way of knowing which one is his. Despite everything that happened yesterday, I decided to go to uni today and find out one way or another where James lives. I am sure with enough begging, the school secretary will give up his address. And then, there's Brad, also caught in the middle of all of this because of me. I mean, I know he is no innocent here, but this has nothing to do with him. It's about me, and Reggie. Joaquin shouldn't even have been part of it. My plan was simple, go to Birgmingham and get to Reggie. How did it go so wrong? Now both James and Brad are probably hurt if not dead because of my lack of thinking.

I let out a long sigh thinking about the mess that is my life and get started on covering up my bruises with a ton of makeup.

When I arrive at school, Isaac and his gang are nowhere to be seen. My imagination is running wild as to why none of them are here today. Has Joaquin planned an attack on all of them? Has he killed them? Or has Isaac's gang found out about Joaquin's plan and attacked before his guys could? Or did they simply have business elsewhere today? After thinking about it for probably too long, I make my way to the admin building where I know I'll find James's address.

"Hi miss, can I help you with anything?", the blond lady behind the desk greets me when I enter the building.

"Hi, yes actually, I was wondering if you could help me get my friend's address", I ask with my brightest smile.

She looks at me surprised, her eyebrows furrowed.

"I'm afraid I can't give out students' personal information", she answers in a tone anything but apologetic and I restrain from swearing at her.

Understandably, that wouldn't be very helpful.

"It's really important", I say with begging eyes. "He might be in danger", I add and the expression on her face changes from annoyance to alarm.

"In danger? What kind of danger?", she asks, not able to hide her worry now. "If what you say is true, we need to alert the authorities. What's your friend's name?"

I refrain from rolling my eyes. She is obviously used to being asked for people's addresses. Fuck, this is not gonna work.

"Did I say danger? I mean, yes. Hm, he drank too much last night, and I'm worried he's gonna choke on his own puke", I lie blankly.

Her eyebrows furrow again, and I can tell she doesn't believe me.

"Your friend's name", she repeats.

"Are you gonna call the cops if I give you his name?"

"He's not in any kind of danger, is he?", she states, looking both relieved and even more annoyed than before. "Look miss, you're not the first one trying to get her crush's personal info. Won't be the last one either. But you won't get it from me, so I advise you leave before I call security"

Wow, that woman is not playing around. I guess it's a good thing she's doing her job so well. But it's not helping me. I let out a sigh and turn around. There's no point in begging her, so I decide to go back home.

I spend the day worrying about James, calling him every ten minutes, then dialling 999 (is that the equivalent of 911 in the UK? I hope so haha) in fear he is actually dead or needs help, before hanging up without even talking to anyone. It's now past 8 o'clock at night and I am pacing around my living room debating whether or not to go to Brad's. If I can't know if James is alright, maybe I can find out if Brad is. After thinking about it for way too long, I grab my purse and leave my apartment, not before checking the window in case Joaquin had his guy spying on me. I didn't see anything, but the pitch black outside and the pouring rain didn't really help. I stop thinking about maybes and make my way to Brad's.