three.

It's been a week since I started uni here. The days have gone by so slowly, it feels like years have passed. I couldn't give less shit about my classes, my mind focused on getting to Reggie and his gang. I have been putting together notes about each of the five members who seem to always stand at the same spot, at the back of the main building.
I gathered that the tall, dark skin guy I saw handing drugs to another guy on my first day is their leader, as he seems to always be the one in charge of the deals, and trust me, they've been busy. I must say, out of all of them, he is also the most intimidating one. His tall and muscular figure would make me look like a paper doll next to him. Like the rest of the gang, his arms are covered with tattoos, but unlike the others, the drawings go up to his chin. His left eyebrow is cut in half by a large scar, and I can't help but wonder if he got it because of the type of business he's in. He always wears black jeans and a shirt only buttoned up to below his chest, leaving his impressive eagle tattoo on his pecs on display, the sleeves rolled up to his elbows.
Then there's the dyed red hair guy who fidgets with a knife 24/7. I still wonder how he's allowed on school property with a knife, but then, they are dealing drugs in front of everyone, and yet no one seems to care, or are too scared to do anything about it. I'm 95% sure he's the arms of the operation, the one who would give you a good beating if you owed them money or something.
Under him are Thing One and Thing two, who are literally just suck ups to the leader. They look like any regular student, and could even pass for frat boys. Thing One has light blond hair that falls to below his ears and blue eyes, just as covered in tatts as the other ones, and always has a cigarette on his lips, while Thing Two has short ink black hair, and seems to have quite the mouth when it comes to shouting profanities at girls.
And then there's the guy I made eye contact with on my first day. I don't know how to rank him in their little organisation. Some days I feel like he could be the second in command as the other three guys tend to not bother him too much, and some days he just looks like he couldn't give more shit as to what the others are doing, like lost in his own world. To my surprise he's not here today, and I can't help but wonder if what happened to Charlie happened to him too. One day he's here with the rest of his gang, and the next day it's only four of them left. I force myself to stop thinking about it, not that I cared what happened to him anyways. If he died, he probably deserved it. But Charlie didn't deserve to die, I think as I realize that good people can get involved with bad people, and that doesn't mean they deserve to die.

"Do we really have to do that?", I ask Charlie, feeling too lazy to move from the couch.
"Come on Pops, it's two hours of your time, and it'll be fun. Think of all those people who don't get to celebrate thanksgiving with their loved ones, or even with food for the matter", he answers, and I roll my eyes, taking my sweet time to get off the couch.
"Ugh, spending Thanksgiving day with homeless people is not my definition of fun", I say as I reluctantly make my way to the door where he is waiting for me. I don't know why, but lately he's been a lot more involved with our local community, reaching out and helping the ones in need when he's back home during his breaks. I would find it admirable if he wasn't forcing me to join him today. All I wanted to do was spend the day watching early Christmas movies while my mom cooks up a storm in the kitchen for our traditional thanksgiving dinner. Charlie opens the door and passes his arm around my shoulder. "Bro sis bonding time", he says as he tousles my hair, making me push him away from me instantly. "I'm so glad you don't live at home anymore", I tell him as we enter mom's car, Charlie sitting behind the wheel. "You'd miss me if I were gone", he answers with a laugh while I vividly shake my head negatively.

The memory revived the pain I had been trying to silence down, and it hit me like a tsunami. Of course I didn't mean what I said that day. Because never would I have thought he'd really be gone one day, so soon. And trust me, you never truly miss someone until that person is gone for good. Only then you can't understand what the real meaning of missing someone is, and how it feels like. If you think you know what it feels like to miss someone because you haven't seen your friend in a month, you'll get hit by a wall the day you discover the pain of really missing someone. Of knowing you will never see that person again. That despite how bad you need to hear their voice, or feel their presence next to you, you won't ever again get to experience it. That nothing will appease their absence, and you'll have to leave with that hole for the rest of your life, never truly yourself again. 'Pops', I can't help the tear that falls down my cheek at the memory of the nickname he had for me. He never called me by my first name. He started calling me by my middle name, Poppy, when we were kids, just to annoy me, and it stayed throughout the years, turning into Pops. Only him was allowed to call me like that, it was his way of showing me how special our relationship was.
"So, what did you think of your first week?", James asks me as we stand in the hallway, students rushing to get out of the building to get to whatever Friday night plans they have.
"I survived", I say, trying to find a way to ditch him without being too rude. I have decided that today was the day I'd approach the gang, and needed to get rid of James to do it.
"It's time you live a little, and stop surviving, Bundle of Joy", he says with a laugh as we follow the crowd of students outside.
"I'll keep that in mind", I say, trying to think of an excuse to go back inside. "Oh shit, I forgot a book in my locker", I say, knowing I'm bad at lying.
"Let's go get it then?" James says, but I stop him.
"Nah, don't worry about it, I'll go. Have a nice weekend!" I say before quickly turning around, praying he doesn't follow me. Just as I reach the building's door, I turn around and see him standing in the same spot we were a couple of seconds ago, and I wave at him, hoping he'd leave. And he does, just after giving me a weird look and a short wave. Good, now on to business. I take a deep breath and make my way to the back of the building, truly hoping the group would still be there, despite today being Friday. To my relief, the four of them are still standing there, a dodgy hooded guy walking away from them. Because a hoodie makes you totally less suspicious, I think as I roll my eyes at the guy. The closer I get to the group, the more nervous I feel, as they start to notice me walking towards them. When I reach them, all four pairs of eyes are on me, their lips curled into smirks, and I swallow the lump in my throat, trying my best to act normal, and not like I'm about to throw up. If they recognize me as Charlie's sister, I'm screwed. They will never lead me to Reggie.
"Hey princess", the leader says as he detaches himself from the wall he was leaning against and comes to face me, a little too close in my opinion. "Do you need something?". His eyes are staring into mine, and I find myself struggling to keep eye contact. My heart is racing in my chest, and I am positive the entire neighborhood can hear it. Come on Joy, don't chicken out. Remember why you're doing this. Charlie. The thought of my dead brother sends a rush of adrenaline through my veins, and gives me enough courage to speak.
"I'd like to talk to Reggie", I say, and I can tell from his eyes he wasn't expecting that answer. The other guys start to laugh, while the one in front of me smiles. It's not a nice, friendly smile though, and I find myself trying to hide the goosebumps on my skin.
"You heard that Is? The lady wants to talk to Reg", Thing Two says before bursting in laughter.
"Shut the fuck up", Is tells the guy who stops laughing almost immediately. Apparently I wasn't wrong, he is the leader. "And what exactly do you wanna talk to him about?", he then asks me.
"That's none of your business", I answer, not sure where I got the confidence from. Is scoffs, and looks straight into my eyes again.
"If you want to meet him, then it's my business", he answers, and I think about what to say. I need to get to Reggie, no matter what.
"I want to get into the business, and I've heard he's the guy to meet", I say, not really thinking about what I am saying until the words are out of my mouth. This time, the four of them start to laugh, clearly not taking me seriously. "What's so funny?" I ask, getting pissed at their superior attitude.
"Don't take it the wrong way Snow White, but you don't really fit the profile", Is says when he finally stops laughing.
"Yeah go back to your ballet classes and white fence house, we don't deal with daddy's girls", Thing One says this time, laughing to his own come back.
"Judging by your face, I don't think you deal with any girl", I answer, emphasizing on the word 'any', making him stop laughing almost instantly. He tries to get closer to me, an angry look on his face, his fists ready to hit my face, but Is extends his arm to stop him. I stand there, frozen, as Is keeps looking at me with interested eyes.
"I'm not daddy's girl", I say, trying to hide the shaking in my voice and  appear menacing when in reality I have no clue what I'm doing. "Can you arrange a meeting or not?", I ask, surprised again at my sudden confidence.
Is stares at me for what seems like an eternity, until his lips curl into a smirk.
"Yeah, I can make that happen", he says and I feel a wave of relief spread through my body. I didn't think it would be so easy to be honest. "Meet us at Mahoney at 10pm tonight", he says before signaling to his guys to get moving. The next second they are walking away, and I am left standing there, not realizing what had happened.
I am going to meet my brother's killer tonight.

A very Brad-less chapter, sorry 😬. Don't worry he'll be there in the next one, and each one after that haha. I'm three pages away from finishing to write FRIENDS, so I'll be focusing on this story now 🌸. What do you think so far? Don't forget to click on the ⭐️ if you liked it ✌️❤️.