twenty-nine.

"I wanted to kill you", I say bluntly, looking straight into his eyes so that he knows I'm not lying.

"Joy!", Brad shouts as he jolts next to me, his eyes wide and shocked.

The hurt and betrayal in his voice break my heart, but I had no choice. We're here because of me. He is innocent in this mess, and I will not let him go down with me.

In a flash, his hand grabs my arm and he tries to make me face him, desperately trying to find answers in my eyes and without a doubt make me give up on my plans. I refuse to meet his eyes as I focus my attention on Reggie in front of me, who clearly wasn't expecting my answer. It takes him a second to react, the initial surprise quickly turning into a laugh.

I fight Brad's grip on me with all the strength I have left in me. He is so out of control and desperate that he doesn't even realize how tight he is squeezing my arm, his fingers digging into my flesh, my skin turning white where the blood has stopped running.

"Can you please let him leave", I ask Reggie when his laugh calms down. "This is between the two of us, Brad has nothing to do with this"

"Joy shut up", Brad orders, still fighting me to meet my eyes.

I ignore the pulsing pain in my arm to stay focused on Reggie who's looking at us, amused.

"He tried everything he could to stop me", I plead when Reggie doesn't answer. "This is how loyal he is to you. Please get him out of here, and I'll tell you everything you want to know"

Reggie shifts on his seat again, still scrutinizing us. I doubt Brad even notices considering how much energy he is spending on shaking me and trying to force my head in his direction. I wouldn't be surprised to find out he broke my arm. That's how painful it is right now.

"Stop this right now", Brad snaps, getting a grip on my painful jaw and forcing my head in his direction.

I am not quick enough, or strong enough to fight his grip and our eyes finally meet. His are full of fury, betrayal, despair and terror. He knows what's going to happen to me now and how powerless he is in front of it. Seeing the way he looks at me now breaks my heart. It feels like it's being ripped out of my chest and crushed before being set on fire while it's still beating. My vision quickly blurs as tears fill my eyes, and for the first time, I am grateful I can't see his face anymore.

"Don't", he begs, holding on to my face desperately.

I place my hands on his, giving in to his touch for a brief second.

"I'm sorry", I simply say before taking his hands off my face and turning back to Reggie who's watching us with close attention, the same amused smile sitting on his lips. "Please", I beg him.

I need to get Brad out of here. I know he can start a new life somewhere else, somewhere far away from this fucked up city.

Something flickers in Reggie's eyes. It was gone in a flash but I saw it. He smiles at me and snaps his fingers at the men guarding the doors to his office.

"Alright", he says as one of the men approaches us, and I sigh in relief. "You heard the lady, get him out of here"

I quietly thank him, feeling like a weight has been lifted off my shoulders now that I know that Brad will be safe.

But before Brad can even react and scream at me like I expect him to, Reggie opens his mouth again.

"Put him in the basement, and tell Isaac to have his fun with him. I know he's been dying to lately"

I gasp in horror. No, this isn't how it was supposed to go.

"No!", I scream, jumping to my feet to stand between the man and Brad in a futile effort to stop him.