twenty-six.

"We don't have time for that!", Brad yells back at me.

After he told me his plan to get us as far away from the gangs of Birmingham as possible, we had spent the evening glued together in his bed, talking about everything except what was going on in our lives. We chatted about Charlie, and how their initial hate for each other turned into a heartfelt friendship. I fell asleep while he talked about Australia and the possible future we could have there.

When I woke up in the morning I realized I can't leave without helping James. Someone has him, because of me, and I simply have to help him. I am terrified, because going after him means staying in the city for longer than I should, and it's putting both myself and Brad in danger. But I don't have a choice.

"He's my friend!", I cry back. "And he's been taken because of me!"

Brad has been trying to make me change my mind for the past hour, but nothing he can say will work.

"Leave for Melbourn, as we said, and I'll meet you there as soon as I know James is safe", I say, softer this time.

I don't want to argue with him. But he needs to understand I'm not changing my mind.

"I'm not leaving without you", he says with no room for negotiation. "It doesn't make any sense. Why would someone take your friend?", he adds, still trying to reason with me. "It's obviously a trap. If it's not Joaquin's guys who have him like you said, then it can only be Reggie. And why would he take him if not to get to you?"

I still don't understand what's going on, who took him, or why. I just know that I need to find him.

"Or your friend is involved in some shit you have no idea of"

The look on his face suddenly changes.

"What's your friend's name again?"

"James"

"His last name", Brad corrects himself.

"Oh, hm I don't know", I answer trying to remember if James ever told me his last name. "McVey I think"

The look on Brad's face now tells me something's really wrong.

"What? Do you know him?", I ask and remember the way they reacted to each other.

I was certain at the time that they knew each other, but James never confirmed.

"You do, don't you", I say as I realize that James is most likely part of their gang. "He's with your gang and Isaac has him"

"No", Brad answers bluntly. "Reggie has him"

My heart stops, my blood turning to ice. Why would Reggie have him? How does Brad know that? And if he knew, why did he pretend he didn't?

"You knew?"

"I don't know for sure", he admits. "But if someone from our side has him, it can only be his father"

I feel like I've been crushed by a plane. I must have misheard him. The pounding of my heart is so loud I have no doubt Brad can hear it.

"James is Reggie's son?", I ask, suddenly getting dizzy.

Brad doesn't have to answer. The expression written on his face is clear enough.

"This can't be true", I say, my head buzzing with a million question. "No, you're lying", I add, feeling the urge to sit down, tears appearing in the corner of my eyes.

I sit down on the sofa, trying to keep my breathing under control. James can't be related to that monster. He's been one of the best friends I've ever had. Not even mentioning the fact that he tried very hard to keep me away from Isaac and his gang. Did he do it because he knew exactly what kind of guys they are? But why did he pretend to not know about them? They're part of the same gang.