six.

Another day, another six hours of boring classes. I've only been sitting in my second lecture of the day for an hour, and I already feel like shooting myself. Why did I choose this module? Oh right, to make my parents happy and let me move here, where their son was murdered. I spend the rest of the class cursing myself for choosing law instead of any other class until my mind starts to wander towards Isaac and the rest of his gang. I haven't seen them since two nights ago at the bar, as I was in no shape to go to class yesterday. I keep thinking about Brad and the possible reasons he had to help me that night. I mean, his friends seem like total jerks. I know I'd have spent the night lying on the disgusting floor of that bar if Brad hadn't taken me to his place. And who knows what the guys at the bar would have done to me. I simply don't get why someone like him would help me when he clearly doesn't want me to interfere with his business. He made that clear yesterday morning. Before I can think more about it, I notice my classmates making their way out of the room, and I realize the class is over. Shit, I didn't take any notes. With a little luck I'll get to Reggie before midterms, and before my parents drag my ass back to Southampton for failing my classes. I gather my stuff and throw my book in my bag before following the last students out of class, and I am met with James sitting across the hallway. As soon as he sees me, he stands up and comes to greet me.

"Bundle of Joy", he says with the same irritating tone he uses every time he calls me by that nickname. I can't help but roll my eyes at the nickname. I don't think it'll ever grow on me, but it doesn't seem like he's gonna stop calling me like that anytime soon. "I've missed you yesterday".

"I was...", I start to say, thinking of a coherent lie. "Sick", I add, giving him a faint smile. I can't tell him the real reason I wasn't at school yesterday. First, he would probably think I'm crazy for willing to do business with Isaac's gang, and second, he would try to make me give up on the idea, and I simply don't have time for that. He gives me a questioning look, and I can tell he doesn't really believe me, but thankfully he doesn't question it and simply nods.

"Hungry?", he asks, and I don't even have time to answer that he pulls me in the direction of the cafeteria. I follow him as we leave the main building and walk outside to reach the cafeteria on the other side of campus. As we get closer to the building, my eyes fall on the group of tattooed guys standing at their usual spot. Thing One and Red Hair guy are sitting on the back of a bench, their feet on the seat, while Thing Two is talking to some other dude I have never seen before. My attention is dragged to Brad and Isaac who seem to be in the middle of a heated conversation, their hands flying everywhere. We're too far to hear what they're saying, but it looks serious.

"Do you have a death wish?", I suddenly hear James ask me, making me turn my head towards him as we continue walking towards the cafeteria. I raise an eyebrow and quickly realize what he is referring to. I was staring, again.

"They don't seem that dangerous", I answer, making him scoff.

"Not that dangerous? Those guys beat up a guy from my class so bad he needed facial reconstruction", he says, making my heart skip a beat. "Facial reconstruction!", he adds, as if he needed to emphasize that fact. "Everyone who crosses their path ends up at the hospital or dead. It's as simple as that. And that fucking school is too shit scared of them to kick them out. In fact, the fucking police itself is too shit scared of them to take any action too. It's like they control the entire city".

"Do they go to school here?", I ask, wondering why they hang out on school property when they clearly don't fit the student profile. James starts laughing, answering my question.

"Do they look like they give a shit about school?", he says, and I can only agree.

"Then why do they stay here? Out of all places in Birmingham, why do they choose to spend their days on campus?", I ask, not getting it.