24

"god, mark will you just fucking stop?" yiren groaned in frustration,

she really regretted following a stupid note that she found inside her locker, first of all it's suspicious and weird and creepy, but she still went out of curiosity. and it turns out to be from none other than mark lee.

"can we just go back to the way we were?" he asked.

"look, we- there's no we.. or us.. when you keep on bringing back that stupid mistake in the past, i had a boyfriend mark."

"i- i just can't help thinking about it" he muttered, there was no way to tell if he was sincere or not.

"this is torture" the girl whispered.

mark inched closer, startling the girl, he was way taller and stronger, it scared her to think that he'll do something to her in this empty part of the school, he looked at her differently, like a predator looking at its prey.

it wasn't the mark she knew all those years.

"yi-"

before he could finish, a large hand made its way on mark's shoulders, and yiren definitely knew whose hand it was.

"what's up?" lucas' voice rang inside her ears, and she couldn't be any more thankful for his presence. his voice wasn't the usual loud and bright one. there was something about him that changed.

his eyes have lost their sparkle, below them were dark circles, and he was a lot thinner too.

he almost looked,

broken.

"oh, look who's here!" mark laughed, but he was obviously pissed. "are you guys still a thing? wow." no one would miss the sarcasm in his tone.

"god, your unbelievable you know that?l he turned to yiren, suddenly she isn't so thankful about lucas' presence now.

there were so many things that mark could tell him. and he did.

"aren't you with jaehyun too? what are you fucking them both?" he laughed loudly and lucas took a step closer, raising his fist up in the air, ready to punch mark, but yiren placed a hand on his curled fist and shook her head. she was on the verge of tears.

"you should stop trying to defend her" mark turned to lucas. the girl bit her lip harshly, it felt like it would bleed anytime, but that didn't matter anymore, she knew where the conversation was heading.

yiren's legs felt weak, like she would collapsed any moment.

"why don't you tell him you-" before mark could form another word, a fist landed on his face, he stumbled back and looked up with blood gushing out from the corner of his mouth.

"leave" lucas glared at the other boy, and mark spared one last glance at yiren and walked away.

"are you alright?" his voice softened again and he looked at the girl with care and concern.

lucas deserved better.

"please don't-" yiren's voice almost cracked.
"don't care about me" she managed to say.

"what?" his lips formed a frowned.

the girl mustered up all her courage and took a deep breath.

"i cheated on you with mark"

there. she finally said it. and it felt like the big weight she was carrying all this time finally lightened. but it wasn't fully gone.