In Any Lifetime

Seo Jun Hee. What is he doing here?

"So...one tuna sandwich, Ma'am?" the staff asks again.

"Yes, please."

"Here you go, he already paid for it too," she pushes a small tray onto me and smiles.

Jun Hee has stepped away from the cashier and about to leave. Awkward, but for the sake of good manner I call his name, intending to thank him.

Here we go, after more than three years of not talking to each other, even ignoring each other when we accidentally met.

"Jun Hee!"

He stops himself from exiting the store.

"Jun Hee... thank you," I say.

"No problem, Noona."

I feel the awkwardness. He used to call me by my name Jin Ah when we're still dating, but now he's back into calling me Noona, just like how he used to do before we became a couple for some brief months.

"I just discovered that you like tuna sandwiches a lot. You weren't a picky eater," he adds.

"A lot of things have changed, Jun Hee. How are you? I don't know that you're back in Seoul."

"I'm fine. Well, I've been living back here for around six months. You really don't know?"

I shake my head. "I don't."

"I've seen the news, Noona. I'm sorry for your loss. How are you, by the way?"

Not sure what to answer, and refuse to accept what the news broadcasted, I give him a moderate answer. "I'm..I'm adjusting."

"I see. You looked happy with him, and your mother found the dream son in law. But... once again I'm sorry. You will find someone better soon."

No. No. I will never ever replace Jin Woo. Someone better? Oh dear, Jun Hee. Why do I feel like he's mocking me, not sincerely stating his condolence.

"He's a famous man. I hope the TV stations won't bug you with live interviews," he adds.

"Don't worry, Jun Hee, I won't go on TV and saying things I don't believe. Have a good day, Jun Hee. This is your sandwich," I pass him the tuna sandwich and walk out, leaving him away to grab Seung Ho's arm and drag ourselves back to J-One's parking lot.

That night, we go to the address given by Park Sun Ho. It's raining and the chill wind blows. My face is wet from rain, even though the tears on my face has already dried. But with this red nose, swollen eyes, and lips, everyone can see that I am broken inside.

I hold to my coat tighter and Seung Ho shivers from the chill wind. We step on the porch of this nice house. It looks beautiful, very well maintained, and has a beautiful flower garden.

There is Jin Woo's car parked in front of this house, and it's frowning at me. Did they really have a special relationship that I don't know? How can his car be parked in here? I rub the ring on my finger and bite my lips.

Reading the worried look on my face, Seung Ho says, "don't make assumptions, Noona. You're his fiancee, you have the right to claim him, but please, stop yourself from any catfight, would you?"

I nod, and Seung Ho turns to knock on the front door. A pretty girl opened the door, slender figure, long wavy hair, big doe eyes, and looks a few years younger than me. A very attractive girl, I agree. Attractive enough to distract Jin Woo, at worst.

"Yes?" She flaunts a beautiful smile, and I swear I see Seung Ho drools for a second.

"Annyonghaseyo, Miss Jung Hee Joo?" he asks.