Chapter 5

*Core's POV*

"To be honest, I'm not too surprised that you chose to wear the locket," 404 says when Core enters the secluded remains of Alphatale.

"Why is that?" Core asks.

"You have that kind of character," 404 says.  "Being the main protector and all of the Omega Timeline, you have to make decisions like these, right?"

"Not really," I say, holding up my hand.

The moment I put on the locket, ERROR messages started appearing all over my body, glitching in and out of existence.  I had become glitchy, like Error had.

"I'm sure you're not familiar with your powers yet," 404 says.

"I gave her a quick run down of it," I hear Error say from behind me, phasing into existence.

Though Error had been completely dusted in the war against Ink, he wasn't actually 100% dead because a fragment of his soul had been left undamaged, the one within the locket around my neck.  His soul was so powerful, he, in fact, only needed a very, very tiny fraction of his soul to already be more powerful than a Sans at LV20.  Of course, this wasn't really him, but living with a mirage of Error was better than living with no Error at all.

I turn my head and smile as he walks up behind me and shoves his hands into the pockets of his jacket.  

"'Sup, Corey," he greets.

"Welcome back, my love," I purr, familiar warmth flooding into my body as I reach up to touch his cheek with a glitchy finger.

"Error," 404 calls.

Error turns away from me to face his old mentor.  

"Are you not gonna give your old man a hug?" 404 asks, spreading his arms.

"Teach, for the millionth, you're not my dad," Error says, a bit frustrated.  "Just my teacher."

"Is that just an excuse not to give me a hug?" 404 asks.

"Nah, my tiny fragment of a soul would crack under the pressure of your power," Error says.  "It's good to see you though, fine as always."

"Nice to know that your brain didn't dust along with the rest of your body," 404 says, chuckling and putting his arms down.  "Alright, Core, jokes aside, before we officially start training, I'm gonna warn you, the moment you put that locket on, you just achieved an inescapable lifetime career of destroying worlds.  I hope you don't regret this."

I turn to face Error, who gives me an encouraging smile and pats me on the shoulder.  

"Well, it's not like you can turn back now even if you wanted to," Error says, shrugging.

"Yeah, I won't regret this too much, will I?" I ask.

"Oh, you'll hate this job," Error says.  "You'd think doing this job for a while would make this easier but, alas, things aren't that simple."

"That sounds...appealing," I say.  "So, when do we get started?"

"Right now," 404 says, walking up to me.

"Great, what do we get started with?" I ask.

"The basics," 404 says.

"Wow, I would've never guessed," I say, sarcastically.  "What are 'the basics'?"

"Strings," 404 says.

He lifts his right hand, palm facing the ground.  Dark blue strings shoot out from his fingertips and pool at the floor.