Prologue

a/n: This is a sequel to my fireafy story, alight! In order for all parts of this story to make sense, I highly recommend you read alight first. While you're at it, check out my spinoff coinpin story, sharp! Happy reading!

Their room was dark.

Firey stood in the doorway, flame-colored eyes upon his girlfriend's smaller form. Leafy, sniffling softly, was curled up underneath their blankets, refusing to move from her position. No amount of kisses, cuddles, and reassuring words could get her out of bed.

He had considered dragging her out from under the covers. But when he carried her out of bed once and plopped her on the couch, she merely fell over and buried her face in the cushions.

He knows she's depressed. She isn't fooling anyone. Yet, she won't talk to him. She won't even see a therapist.

Leafy isn't always like this. Sometimes it isn't a struggle to get out of bed. Sometimes, she bolts out from under the covers and yanks the curtains open, eager to see the sunlight. Those are Firey's favorite days.

Today was not one of those days.

Firey sighed and turned away. Another day of loneliness. Another day of living without his girlfriend by his side.

He secretly hoped she would get better after he got back from work.

Wondering what he should do today, he pulled on his coat and walked out the door.