Chapter Nine

Firey didn't sleep well that night. The couch he was sleeping on was basically a block of concrete. As he tossed and turned, he made a mental note to use his next salary to buy them a better couch. When they moved in together, his couch was already falling apart, so they kept hers and sent his to the landfill.

He would much rather be sleeping on that couch right now. What a stupid decision on their part. After another few hours of trying to sleep but being physically unable to, he sat up and instead decided to watch some TV until he could.

By the time the clock struck 7 am, Firey was still unable to sleep and dead tired. He had work today. He stood up, slipped into the shower, and grumbled about how much he hated Mondays and that they were the stupidest day of the week.

The hot water helped a little. He was a little more energized by the time he got out of the steam. He wrapped a towel around himself and walked over to the bedroom.

He saw the door was shut and stopped.

Did she lock the door? He had to get ready for work. If he couldn't get his uniform, he'd get in huge trouble.

He tested the handle. It turned. He sighed in relief. Even in anger, Leafy was still nice. He opened the door and looked towards his girlfriend.

The curtains were drawn tightly shut. No light was in the room; only pitch black. His eyes had to adjust to the darkness before he could make out his surroundings.

He slowly began to visualize Leafy's form.

She was asleep. His heart dropped when he noticed her pained expression.

No time to dwell on it now.

Firey quietly stepped over to the closet and pulled one of his uniforms off the racks. The hanger clattered loudly and he quickly flipped to face his girlfriend.

She didn't stir.

He looked closer. Was she dead?

He stared for a couple more seconds until he was able to make out the rise and fall of her figure. He let out a breath he didn't know he was holding. She was alive.

The ginger dried himself off and put on his uniform. He deftly stepped back towards the door, taking care to avoid waking her up. When he reached the doorway, he looked back at her.

She's lucky to be sleeping, he thought bitterly, and hated himself for it. He closed the door behind him, quietly.

He growled, but he didn't know why. Maybe he was tired, and she was able to sleep. Maybe because he had been banished to spend the night on the couch. Maybe because she was punishing him. Maybe he felt she had no right to get mad at him about the party.

It wasn't even a bad fight. But they never really fought that much in the first place.

The flame-haired boy sorely grabbed his keys and pulled the door behind him. He didn't even bother to lock it.

He turned around to head to work, and in his sour mood, he failed to realize didn't actually close the door.