Fortunes Told

I have been staying with Aunt Elly for a week. She has kept me busy claiming that laziness was a ticket into Hell, cleanliness is next to godliness. I must be up by sunrise or there are consequences. I woke up late my first morning here and Aunt Elly was very upset which ended in my getting smacked on the back of the hand with her ruler. She called me lazy and told me she was going to whip me into shape so I can be the perfect daughter when I return home. I have not been allowed to go sightseeing since I got here because Elly constantly has me doing something. I also must have morning prayer with her as well as evening devotions to strengthen my spirit against Satan and his servants. She has also made me wear leggings under my skater skirts because according to her, I dress like a whore. I have been extra quiet here and have hung my head lower than usual, but today Sybil has come over to relieve me of my duties so I can go explore.

I grabbed my phone and headset and ran towards the front door, it was hard to contain my excitement.

"Lexi, sweetheart. Be careful and if you need anything just call okay?"

Sybil's concern made my heart melt so I gave her a smile and a nod. Today I chose to wear my yellow dress that reached my knees and the sleeves stopped above my elbows. I added my little diamond cross necklace that daddy gave me as a Christmas gift a couple years ago along with my Birkenstock sandals and a little purse that held some money and my phone. I decide to check out some the local shops I saw on the way here, then I would walk to the library and see if they had any books that I have not read yet. After that I had decided that I would get some lunch and maybe some ice cream for dessert before making my way to the cemetery.

The first shop that I stopped at was a cute little clothing store. Their bright colored dresses in the window attracted me and I couldn't help but go inside and take a look around. I kept my head down and busied myself  with digging through the wracks while ignoring the feeling of eyes staring into the back of my head. After about ten minutes of looking around a beautiful pastel pink sweater caught my eye. I quickly made my way over to it and checked the price tag hanging from the sleeve. It was a little pricey for my taste but I really wanted it and it was something Aunt Elly would approve of so I decided to go ahead and buy it.

"Will that be all for you today miss?"

I nodded in answer to the cashier before handing her my credit card. I allowed myself a glance up saw that's the cashier looked to my age with long black hair and pale skin. She was extremely beautiful, it made me feel kind of insecure. There was a gothic black cross that hung from her neck with a spiked choker just above that. Her arms were covered in fishnet and a black off the shoulder top cover her torso, she definitely stood out in this store.

"Receipt with you or in the bag?"

I swallowed the lump in my throat and quickly said, "Bag please."

As I was walking out of the store I could have sworn I had the girl mumble something like, "She looks just her". Shaking my head of such a ridiculous thought I made my way down to a couple more shops before deciding on having lunch before going to the library. As I made my way to the cute little diner in town there was a window that had a poster hanging up in its window. The poster was advertising fortune readings and talisman to protect you from evil spirits. Something was pulling at me to go into the shop so against my better judgement I pushed open the door and made my inside.

I was slightly intimidated by the peculiar items that lined the walls and seemed to just surround me. I made my way to a glass case that held some jewelry and decorated knives. Slowly scanning the items in the case I stopped and stared at two rings that were on chains side by side in the case. There really wasn't anything special about these rings but it felt like I had seen them somewhere before. The black ring was much larger than the small white one but they both had what looked to be Latin inscribed into the bands. One would mistake them for wedding rings and they were absolutely beautiful.

"True love never dies, it only gets stronger in time."

My head snapped up as I frantically tried to find the voice that gave me a minor heart attack. My eyes stopped on an older woman who was sitting at a table at the back of the shop. She was wearing a long purple dress with a blue and purple patterned shawl around her shoulder. Her graying hair was hanging down her back and she had gold hoops for earrings. She must have been able to see that I was confused because she motioned for me to have a seat across from her.

"The Latin inscription on the rings. I noticed you were enchanted by them, but they have a very tragic story behind them."

I nodded wanting her to continue, my curiosity about those rings growing every second.

"I promise you that when you and come and visit me again I will tell you that story, but for now why don't we do a little palm reading and maybe look into your past life."

I shrugged my shoulders not really believing in these sort of things but thinking it could be fun.

"You are to tend for your sick aunt, but your future is unknown to you. What I am seeing for you is danger so you must tread carefully and trust only those who are close to you. You are being watched from all corners, because you are someone important, someone special. You my dear can change the course of history, change someone else's fate."

I sat shocked. How did she know about my aunt? How did she know I didn't have any plans for my future?

"On to your past life. Close your eyes for me and just clear your mind of thoughts. I need a clear space to see into."

Closing my eyes I relaxed and emptied my mind of all things, even though I had a million questions just making themselves at home on there. We had been sitting in silence for a moment before I heard her gasp and drop my hands. Quickly opening my eyes I saw her covering her mouth with her hands and her eyes begin to water.

"It's you!" She says. "It's really you! You've come back to free him! You are here to save him! The both of you lost one another many years ago but now your here!"

Before I could say anything she ran to the display case and grabbed the rings. Making her way back to me she placed both around my neck and then pulled me from the chair.

"Take these with you my dear, just make sure no one can see them. You must not allow them to be taken from you so be sure to keep them on you at all times. "

Next thing I know I am standing outside her shop confused and shocked.