The Books

"Sybil?! Sybil are you home?!" I hollered while frantically pounding on the door. My heart felt like it would explode with how fast it was beating, partially from the running I just did and partially from fear and adrenaline. I was honestly to afraid to go back to my aunts home and stay, I mean with everything I now knew and everything that I had in my possession I didn't know how much longer I could play dumb. If my aunt actually knew about what was going on, if she knew more than she was letting on then she would eventually figure out that I knew too. I didn't want to know what she would to do me then. 

The opening of Sybil's front door shocked me out of my thoughts. I almost sighed in relief when I saw the kind worried face that was standing on the other side.

"What is child?"

"Sybil I need to talk to you. It's urgent please can I come in?"

She shot me a confused glance before swiftly moving to the side and allowing me to enter her home. I had never been in her home before and if this had been a visit of pleasantries than I would have taken the time to look around.

Leading me into the living room she asked, "Would you like a cup of tea?"

I frantically shook my head while digging into my bag to grab the books that my aunt had asked me to pick up for her. I pulled them out of my bag and shoved them into Sybil's hands while sitting on the couch. 

"Did Grimald talk to you?"

Sybil slowly nodded her head while reading the titles of each book, her face morphing into a look of pure terror. 

"Sweetheart," She whispered, "Why do you have these?"

"My aunt asked me to run errands for her and these were on her list. Please tell me she doesn't know about Grimald or 'Accalia'." 

My voice was coming out shaky and I knew my face showed just how scared I was.

"I don't honestly know if she has any knowledge about all of this, but finding THAT BOOK in her house and now her asking you to pick these up for her can't be a coincidence. If she does know then you are in some serious danger, I wouldn't be surprised if she was a part of the Old Order or trying to become a part of it."

The sudden urge to go home slammed into me full force and I felt myself begin to have a panic attack. I was terrified, I was in danger for something that I just happened to fall into the middle of, and I wouldn't be safe staying or leaving. No matter what I did I would end up in a bad position and I just wanted to sit and cry. My breathing became rapid and I started to hyperventilate and I couldn't seem to fight it. 

"Breathe child, its alright. Don't begin to panic until we know for sure what is going on. We need to speak to Grimald about this, he will help us know what to do. Until then get yourself together and then take this back to your aunt and don't say a word. Just go about your evening as usual and then I will call your aunt telling her I need your help so you can come back over here. Alright?"

I slowly nodded my head and closed my eyes counting backwards from ten. While counting I began to take slow deep breaths before opening my eyes and naming everything in the room that I could touch. This didn't totally take away my panic state but it did help me calm down enough that I got myself together before taking the books from Sybil. I made my way to the front door while still taking deep breaths to try and keep from freaking out again, I didn't want my aunt to know that something was up with me. 

Making my way across the yard and into my aunt's home I was heading to the kitchen to put away the groceries when my aunt called out for me.

"Alexis do you have those books I asked you to get?"

"Yes ma'am I do."

"Bring them here immediately then you can go about putting things away."

I quickly grabbed her books and handed them to her before making my way back to the kitchen. I truly didn't want to stay around her longer than necessary, so I made myself busy with putting everything I bought away and choosing what to make for dinner. 

"Alexis come here."

I froze and then slowly made my way to where my aunt was laying on the couch thumbing through the books. 

"Ye-yes?"

She looked at me confused and said, "Have you figured out dinner for tonight?"

I nodded my head and then realized that I should probably ask if there was anything special she wanted for dinner to avoid any kind of "discipline". 

"Was there something in particular that you were wanting?"

My aunt shook her head before going back to looking through her books. Heading back into the kitchen I began dinner trying to do everything I could to keep myself busy waiting for Sybil's phone call. My nerves were making me sick to my stomach which in turn made all this food look unappetizing. 

It took about two hours but dinner was finished and I was serving my aunt her plate. I took notice that she was reading the book about the Old Church Order when I set her plate down in front of her on the coffee table. 

Suddenly the phone rang and I had to stop a sigh of relief from leaving my mouth.

"Hello?...No she isn't busy at the moment...I suppose she could come over and help, she isn't much for company....Alright Sybil, bye bye."

My aunt snapped her head in my direction and demanded, "Head over to Sybil's house, she needs you help. I better not find out that you were any trouble for her or else you will receive the beating of a life time."

"Yes ma'am," I whispered.

Within seconds I was in front of Sybil's door knocking when suddenly I feel myself being drug through her home to the backyard. Stepping onto her patio I didn't notice the large winged gargoyle standing there watching my every move.

"Hello Alexis."

I snapped my head in the direction of Grimald's voice and before I knew I was launching myself at him desperately seeking some sort of comfort and safety, something I haven't felt since I landed here. 

He was quick to catch me and began stroking my hair while whispering, "It's alright little one, it's all going to be alright. Take a breath for me and then tell me what happened."

Tightening my arms around his neck I snuggled closer to his body. I felt myself begin to relax in his hold and my breathing began to even out until I was able to pull back and flush in embarrassment. 

"I-I'm so sorry Gr-Grimald."

"I don't mind little one. So are you going to tell me what has you so upset? I can't fix it if I don't know what needs to be fixed."

I swelled the lump in my throat and lifted my head to look him in the eye.

"My aunt had me run some errands for her today and there were a couple books that she had me pick up for her." I took a shaky breath before continuing. "These books...they-they make me think that she knows about... 'Accalia'."