Secret Door

I was frantically searching my room for the book that I had taken to the cemetery yesterday. I had just finished with my daily chores and had a little down time before evening devotions, so I was hoping to get a few more chapters in. I was currently searching under my bed hoping maybe it just fell underneath while I wasn't paying attention. While laying belly down on the floor I crawled underneath the bed as best I could while running my hands along the hardwood flooring. Something cold and metal touched my hand making me stop and squint to see what it was. It was slightly sticking up from the floor boards and from the feeling of it was silver, so I slid my other hand across from the medal and hit another cold piece that felt long.

"Lexi!  It's time for our nightly devotions, get down here!"

Scrambling out from under my bed, I dusted myself off and hurried down the stairs to the living room. If I keep my aunt waiting I will receive another punishment and that is just not something I want.

"Good your here. I was hoping you would read from God's Word tonight."

I swallowed the lump in my throat desperately wanting to beg her not to make me read aloud. I know it is just with my aunt but I hate speaking which includes reading aloud, but I knew that I couldn't tell her no, so all I could do is nod my head.

"Good. Here, begin reading from the bookmarked page and don't stop until told otherwise."

Taking the Bible from her hand I sat down on the chair next to the couch and began reading. I was shifting in my chair as I continued to read, not enjoying having to do all this talking. My head stayed down and I didn't stop reading even when my throat started to feel scratchy and my voice began to sound hoarse. Finally, after what felt like a good hour my aunt told me to stop and mark my page so we could have prayer.

My Aunt Elly likes to be very loud during prayer, raising her voice and throwing her hands to the ceiling. Usually I don't judge but sometimes I wonder why she does it, but I guess that's just the way she worships. She tends to pray for His protection more than anything, and to most people it doesn't sound like anything interesting, but to me it sounds like she is scared of something coming after her. I try to tell myself that I am hearing things, or that I am just trying to pick my aunt apart but it's the same prayer every day twice a day, asking God to keep the demon in it's prison.

"Thank you for another day Lord and we ask that you bless us with another. Amen."

I must of zoned out during our prayer time because I didn't hear any of my aunt's prayer. Shaking my head I got up from my knees and walked over to where my aunt lay and got her settled for the night. After I nodded my goodnight to her and headed towards the stairs to make my way to bed, but Aunt Elly's voice stopped me.

"I have therapy tomorrow, but I don't really trust someone so young driving me. So I have asked Sybil to take me and it's going to be an all day affair because I have to see the doctor as well. So your work load will be lighter tomorrow, do your usual chores and once those are done you may go out. I will return your phone to you tomorrow so I can get a hold of you to check in but I want it back when I get home. Understood?"

"Yes, ma'am."

"Good. Sybil will be picking me up after morning prayers. I honestly don't know when we will be back so I will call you tomorrow when we finish up."

I nodded my head and whispered a goodnight heading to my room so I could collapse and finally get some sleep. My door hadn't finished closing before I collapsed face first onto the mattress enjoying the feeling of the soft blankets on my skin. Suddenly I remembered the thing under my bed and jumped up to turn on the bedroom light before crawling under the bed again. I easily found the handle again and decided I would try to pull on it and see if it opened up. It slowly lifted up and I realized it was a door, unfortunately because of the bed I couldn't get it open enough to see what was in the cubby hole. With a heavy sigh I decided tomorrow while my aunt was gone I would move my bed to see what was in there.

A yawn escaped my mouth as I slid out from under the bed and pulled the blankets down before climbing in and laying down. I then realized I still had to turn the light off so with a huff of annoyance I threw the blanket off me and ran to turn the light off. Finally I was able to crawl into bed and lie down, but I just couldn't go to sleep and my hands went back up to play with the rings around my neck.

My aunt hasn't noticed these yet, and I hoped that she wouldn't because I knew she would take them from me claiming I was dressing like a Jezebel. My clothes showed to much skin, my jewelry was to flashy, and my makeup was against the Bible, well everything about me seemed to be against the Bible. I honestly just wanted to go home, but then my aunt wouldn't have anyone to take care of her. I'm sure mom would come out to do it if I called but that wouldn't be right, so I guess I am just stuck.

Closing my eyes I slept peacefully knowing I would have the entire day to myself.