Her Safe Place

Grimald was very quiet for a few minutes while I stood there with my eyes cast towards the ground. I was afraid to look up into his eyes, afraid of him being angry at me or worse disappointed. I truly didn't mean for any of this to happen and if I had my way I would just go straight home as soon as possible. The problem was, my parents weren't even home, in fact my mother hasn't called or even texted to check on me. Another problem I had was I didn't want my mom to question why I abandoned my bed ridden aunt. 

"Little one."

The deep voice that called my name was so calm that it might have scared me if it wasn't the only sound that could cause me to relax and feel safe. I know I hadn't known him very long but something inside me made it seem as if I had known for a lifetime or maybe longer. 

Slowly lifting my head from studying the grass under my feet I looked into the eyes of Grimald, waiting to see the accusing stare. The only thing I saw in his face was worry and the care I saw took my breath away. All I could seem to do was just stare as I waited for him to speak to me.

"I don't blame you. I know you don't really understand what is going on and I must admit I'm puzzled as to how you ended up in this position. Another thing that doesn't make much sense is what your aunt has to do with this. Honestly I didn't really even notice her before you showed up, I only heard a few things from Sybil. The fact that she wanted a book on the Old Order and a book on the Latin language is extremely suspicious. It can't be a coincidence that she has 'Accalia' hidden in her home along with these books she had you fetch."

As he was going on his rant he began pacing around Sybil's backyard, well as much as he could with his size. I didn't realize I was trembling until I saw Grimald stop his movement and make his way over to me with a frown on his beautiful face.

"Take a breath for me little one. It will be alright. The fact that your aunt has not said anything or done anything to you yet means she isn't aware of what you know. For now I think it's best for you to keep it that way. That's gonna be the safest thing to do, I know it will be hard for you but I need you to be brave and stay calm for me. Can you do that?"

I just stared at him before frantically shaking me head. How could I possibly stay calm with all of this? How could I be brave knowing that I might be in danger in the place I'm stuck calling home right now? I had no protection during the day thanks to this stupid curse Grimald was under, and for now I had no way of fixing that. Suddenly a thought popped into my head, distracting me from my panic for just a moment. 

"G-grimald?"

He cocked his eyebrow waiting for me to continue with what I had to say. So I struggled to take a deep breath so I could ask my question but I suddenly seemed to lose my voice. I felt Grimald wrap his arms around my body and pick me up causing me to wrap my legs around his waist. Quickly I wrapped my arms around him and burrowed my face into his neck and took a deep breath.

"Do y-you think m-my aunt m-might possibly know h-how to end y-your curse? I m-mean if she k-know this much then she m-might know something we d-dont."

I heard Grimald sigh and felt his warm breath against my neck as I continued to stay snuggled into him. My grip was so tight, as if this gargoyle, this sweet creature that no matter what he went through was still so kind, was my life line. I guess in a way he was.

"Little one, I appreciate that you want to end my curse for me. I wish I had the hope that you have for me, but you must come to accept the truth."

"What's the t-truth Grimald?"

My voice was quiet and soft while his was gruff and firm. I knew he wasn't angry at me or even frustrated with me. I truly believed that he was frustrated with the situation and knowing that he might never be able to be a normal creature again. 

"The truth is that this curse is irreversible. This is my life and has been my life for five hundred years and that is never going to change. What's done is done and now I just need to do what I can to protect you and keep you from suffering or hearting in anyway."

I shook my head again in response to his answer. Every curse had to have a cure right? Or at least a way to fix it. There's no way someone would create a book of curses without creating a way to reverse them. What if someone accidentally cursed themselves and needed to change it or accidentally cursed the wrong person? No, there had to be a way to fix this, Grimald deserved that, and even though he had given up I wouldn't. This gargoyle was protecting me and trying to help me get through whatever it is I ended up in the middle of, so I was going to help him too.

"I know you want to help me Little One, but there is nothing you can do for me. Right now I don't want you to anything else but take care of yourself do you understand? I need you to go home and pretend that you don't know anything. Put a smile on you beautiful face and be brave for me while you face your aunt. If you need anything all you need to do is call for me or Sybil and we will come running. I promise to watch over you each night from outside your window while Sybil searches for answers during the day."

"Wh-what if my au-aunt sees you?"

That would be horrible if she saw Grimald and decided to harm him in anyway. As strict as she was I could definitely see her treating him the same way the Old Order did all those years ago. 

"She won't sweetheart. She hasn't caught me yet I don't think she will catch me anytime soon."

Pulling my face out of his neck a looked into his eyes and saw the smile on his face and the amusement in his eyes. I couldn't help but giggle at his statement before slowly nodding my head in agreement. 

"I p-promise to try and b-be b-brave."

"Good girl," he said while placing a simple short kiss to my forehead. I laid my head back into his neck not wanting to leave his warmth. I also wasn't ready to give up the calm and safe feeling I always had when he was around. To put it simply, he was gonna have to pry me off his body right now because I was planning on staying in his arms for a while.