Absolute Fear

I could feel the panic rising in me and had to fight the need to hyperventilate. All I needed to do was play this off and make it seem like I was doing something helpful that benefited her. I could do this, I just had to make my lie convincing. 

"I was j-just g-going to fix y-your necklace a-and cover y-you so you d-don't g-get c-cold," I said with the shakiest voice I have ever heard. I know I am not a good liar, I never had been. My mom never raised me to lie and I never needed to before, but now it seemed like lately my survival relied on it.

My aunt just slowly nodded her head and raised her hand to pat my cheek rather harshley.

"You can be a good girl when you want to be," she slurred. "That priest might be right.."She began to trail off.

"Wh-what did the p-priest say?" I asked frantically.

What could this priest possibly say about me when we had a conversation that was only a couple sentences long. What were they planning? Did they know about me and Grimald?

Realizing my aunt was no longer responding I quickly began taking the pictures while constantly reminding myself to keep a steady hand. I can shake all I want later, right now I need to keep myself together. So I took up close pictures from every angle that I could think of making sure not to leave anything out. After I finished I grabbed a blanket and placed it over my aunt before running as quickly as I could to Sybil's house. 

"Sy-Sybil!" I yelled out, "I d-did i-it!"

"Calm down child let me see."

I tried to hand her my phone but my hands were shaking so badly and my breathing was unsteady and fast. Between sneaking these pictures and what my aunt said before going unconscious, I was absolutely terrified and ready to break down.

"Sweetheart," Sybil gently grabbed my arm and looked me in the eye, "I am going to take the phone from you ok? After I do that I want you to go outside, Grimald is waiting for you. I need you to calm down before you pass out."

I nodded my head but my brain was fuzzy and I felt like I was about to pass out. I could feel my phone being pulled from my hand before being dragged to the back door. The sound of my name being called pulled me out of my head and caused me to look up and see Grimald standing there with his arms wide open. It didn't take any convincing for me to sprint and wrap myself around him like I was some koala bear. 

"Alexis, breathe love, I need you to breathe. Calm down for me love and then tell me what happened."

His calm and firm voice instantly helped me feel safe which allowed me to finally gain control of my breathing again. He was my safe place, even though it was just at night I felt when he was around that nothing could harm me. I felt as if my aunt couldn't insult or smack me, the priest couldn't touch me or harm me in anyway. This was a safe place for me. 

"I-I g-got the pi-pictures. My a-aunt c-caught me b-but I was able to l-lie to her s-since she w-was so d-drugged. But sh-she," I couldn't seem to finish this sentence. Even though I had no idea what she was trying to say, or if it was the drugs talking, it still terrified me that this weird priest that showed up out of nowhere was so interested in me. 

"Breathe love. I am so proud of you for doing that. Such a brave sweet girl aren't you? I am very proud of you, now calm down for me and tell me what your aunt said."

I nodded my head and closed my eyes before taking a few more deep breathes. I refused to let go of Grimald and didn't want to move my face away from his neck. Taking a few more deep breaths I finally pulled back enough so I could look at him. 

"She s-said that sometimes I a-am a good girl and then sh-she said something about th-that priest and th-that he might b-be right. She passed out b-before she could f-finish what she was s-saying."

I could feel myself calming down and noticed my stutter was slowly going away. There was something about Grimald that seemed to be able to ease all of my fears and anxiety. He always seemed to have my best interest at heart as well as have an answer for everything, he just made me feel like everything would be alright.

"Alexis come here please," Sybil said from the doorway.

I looked at Grimald confused but he just grinned and nudged me in her direction.

"Wh-what is it Sybil?"

Instead of saying anything she just lead me to her living room and pulled the window curtain back a little. 

"Look," she said and pointed towards my aunt's house.

Peaking out the window I at first don't see anything because it is so dark. Then as I continue looking I see a strange car parked in front of her house. I couldn't quite make it out, but it did look empty, so where was the owner? Looking towards my aunts house I notice someone walking around and I know for a fact it isn't my aunt, she was sound asleep on the couch. I pulled away from the window and looked over at Sybil.

"Who is at m-my aunt's h-house? Do we n-need to tell G-Grimald to l-leave so he i-isn't caught?"

"I definitely think you need to inform him about this. I doubt he will run off to hide because he worries about you more than himself, but at least he will know."

I nodded my head and quickly made my way to Grimald and wrapped myself around him again, at this point it felt normal.

"Grimald, s-someone is i-in my au-aunt's house and w-we don't know who i-it is," looking him in the eye I continued, "I th-think you n-need to go h-hide."

He was quick to shake his head at my suggestion. 

"Go inside with Sybil love. I will be right back alright?"

I opened my mouth to argue and question him but the look he sent me had me snapping my mouth shut and walking inside. While we were waiting for Grimald to come back Sybil and I were going through the pictures of the cross. She was quite happy with how many there were since it would make creating a replica easier.

A knock on the back door had us both stopping and looking at the back door in fear. 

"Stay here honey, I will be right back."

Sybil made her way to the door and opened it to reveal Grimald who had a dark look on his face. He eyes shot over to me and what he said next had a shiver of fear run down my spine.

"It's that priest, he's looking through your aunt's house. I think you need to stay here tonight Alexis."