Fifteen: New Years & New Beginnings

After the song ended, Austin and Ally stayed in the same position, her leaning up against his chest with his arms wrapped loosely around her back. There was a brief moment of silence, and then Trish announced, "Give it up for the newlyweds, everyone!" snapping them both back to reality. They pulled away reluctantly, smiled and waved, and eventually made their way back to the table.

The rest of the night was fairly uneventful; as uneventful as a wedding reception can be. Ally talked to many of her friends and family while Austin and Dez snuck away to the bouncy house. Ally had rolled her eyes when he'd come up beside her, bringing the puppy dog eyes out again and begging for her to let him do it just this once. She had agreed, though, and her new husband had disappeared from sight almost immediately. Before she knew it, the night was nearly over and it was time for the newlyweds to be sent off to their honeymoon...except they weren't going on their honeymoon yet because the pandemic was still going on, so they were really just being sent off to Austin's slightly cramped one-bedroom apartment. Although it was only a temporary living situation, Ally appreciated it. It might've been small, but it was also cozy and homey. It was theirs, and that was why she liked it.

Ally hugged Trish for what was probably the hundredth time that day as they prepared to get in the SUV that was picking them up, which had 'Just Hitched' spray painted on the back and aluminum cans attached with strings behind it. "Thanks for everything, Trish," she said. "I'll call you tomorrow." Trish nodded.

"Don't feel like you have to do that every day. I just kind of made that up on the fly...but please do call every once in a while, though. Let me know how married life is going," Trish said with a wink.

Ally grinned. "Of course, I will." She turned to her parents, momentarily glancing over at Austin, who was busy saying goodbye to other people.

"Bye mom, bye dad. Thanks for everything." She hugged her mom tightly.

"No problem, sweetie. Let me know if you ever need anything...I'm only ever a phone call away." Ally nodded, hugging her dad.

"I'll always be here for you, honey," Lester echoed his ex-wife, patting his daughter on the back, "Now go, before I start crying." Ally giggled and placed a light kiss on her dad's cheek, parting from her parents and taking Austin's hand.

Lester sighed, feeling a tear prick at his eye. "I always thought that I'd be the most important man in my daughter's life, but...I guess that's not true now."

"Nonsense," Penny replied, "You'll still be that man. The only difference is that now she has two strong, male figures to rely on. That's going to make a huge difference. She's always going to need her father."

Lester nodded, realizing she was right. He'd done his best to raise Ally to be a beautiful, confident young woman, and now it was Austin's job to take care of her. Nevertheless, he knew she'd always be his baby girl.

/

Austin took Ally's hand to help her into the SUV, although they both knew she didn't need it. She grinned at her husband as she scooted further into the car and he shut the door behind them. Austin gave the driver his address and they drove off, listening to the faint sound of the cans dragging behind the car. Ally snuggled up against his shoulder and he grinned.

"So, what do you want to do when we get back?" he asked, smirking.

"Oh, I don't know," she mused, "First I want to get out of this dress...then I was thinking we do a little unpacking and maybe snuggle up and watch some TV?"

Austin groaned. "I forgot that you still have to unpack." He paused. "Can't that wait for tomorrow? This is our wedding night! I was thinking we could," he raised his eyebrows, "you know..."