Twenty Three: Ava & Alex

august 6, 2025

around 11:30 a.m.

Tap.

Tap.

Tap.

Austin sat at his home desk, drumming his fingers on the keyboard of his laptop. He was supposed to be writing an essay for the summer class he was taking, but he couldn't focus. Ally had started having contractions the night before, and she had insisted they were manageable and that they didn't need to leave quite yet, but he was still worried. This essay was due in two days— it was the final assignment for his Economics II class, and he needed to have it done in time if he wanted to pass the class.

No pressure there.

Ally hobbled into the room that was serving as their home office, and leaned up against the door frame. "How's that paper coming?"

Austin spun around in his chair. "Not good." He stood up and went over to her. "I'm worried about you. Why can't we just... go into the hospital, and check to see if you're in labor yet?" Ally shook her head.

"I'm fine, Austin. Plus, if we go in, and nothing is wrong, that's a few thousand dollars down the drain right there. Our insurance isn't that good."

"I know, but..." Austin sighed, putting a hand on her shoulder. "We can figure that part out later. I just want to make sure you're okay." Ally winced as another contraction came, this time leaning up against the door frame, taking fast and shallow breaths. Austin grabbed her hand and rubbed her back for the next forty five seconds. When it ended, Ally exhaled slowly. Austin could have sworn he saw tears form in her eyes from the pain. She looked back up at him, forcing a smile.

"See? I'm fine."

"Ally... those don't look like the fake ones anymore. The... what do you call them— the Brayden Hinks?"

"Braxton Hicks."

"Right, those. They didn't look like Braxton Hicks... we should go." He spun around and closed his computer, figuring that he could send an email to his professor later after the baby was born, explaining the situation. There's no way he would fail Austin just because his wife had a baby. According to Austin, this qualified as an emergency.

"Austin, I told you I'm fine. I don't want to leave until we absolutely have to." Ally turned around to leave the room, but he followed her out.

"Ally..."

"Austin, let it go!" When she turned back to face him, she felt a rush of water between her legs and looked down, jaw dropped. "Uhhh... on second thought, we should probably get packed."

"That's what I thought."

"Stop it!"

"I told you so."

"Shut up."

/

"Alright... what do we need to pack?" Austin asked, rushing into their bedroom, Ally hobbling right behind him. "Did you get a bag for us, for the baby?" Her eyes widened.

"Austin, I asked you to do that days ago!" she exclaimed. Austin gulped.

"Oh." Ally rolled her eyes.

"It's fine, we can have my mom bring us more stuff later," she said. "Just pack one outfit for each of us, one for the baby, some diapers and stuff, and let's go." Austin nodded, rushing in and out of the bedrooms, grabbing outfits for him and Ally, two gender neutral onesies they'd already gotten as gifts from Austin's parents, and other essentials they needed for the hospital. When all was said and done, he led Ally down the stairs, where Penny was playing with Ava.