Seven: Conversations & Close Calls

CW/TW: suggestive material, subtle mentions of sex

fyi, if you aren't comfortable reading this kind of material, feel free to skip this chapter! the next one will still make sense!

-ej

/

seven: conversations & close calls

the next day

The following afternoon, Austin, Ally, Trish, and Dez were all gathered around a table in front of "Scoop, There It Is," reminiscing about the show the previous night and gearing up for the one that evening. None of them could wait to hop on the bus that night and head to Jacksonville, where the tour would really begin.

"Oh, did you guys hear that one girl that screamed 'I love you Austin!' during 'Superchute'?" Dez asked, licking his cone. Instead of referring to it as the Superhero/Parachute mashup, they'd come up with the idea of blending the two words. Ally had pointed out that it was a little bit of a mouthful to say both names all the time, and after Austin had suggested the name, they'd started referring to it as "Superchute."

"You're going to have to be more specific," Austin replied, chuckling. "There was more than one."

"No, I think I know which one Dez is referring to," Trish said. "And if I remember right, it sounded like Austin's mom." Everyone except Austin chuckled at the idea of Mimi being a crazed fan of her own son. Sometimes, Mimi was too perky for her own good.

Austin shook his head incredulously. "Of course, it was my mom. I'd expect nothing less from my biggest fan." He paused, trying to get the image of Mimi standing amongst a crowd of teenage girls out of his head. "At least she won't be there the whole tour, though. It'll be nice to spend some time with my friends," he put his arm around Ally. "And my favorite girl."

Ally blushed and leaned into his shoulder. Trish rolled her eyes and Dez put his hand to his mouth, fighting back tears. "It's just so romantic."

Austin smiled. "We are pretty cute, aren't we?"

"I'll say," Ally responded, standing up from her chair and planting herself in his lap. She leaned into him closer and sighed. "I love love."

"Me too," Dez said, taking another bite of his ice cream. "That's why they call me the love whisperer."

"No one calls you that," Austin whispered back, and they all cracked up.

"No, seriously, I mean, what would you do if I hadn't given you that advice when we were playing video games?" Dez mused. Austin's eyes widened.

"Wh-what advice?" He tried to play it off like he didn't know, hoping that Dez wouldn't reveal anything. He and Ally hadn't talked about their future since his Miami show, and he'd played it off like he wasn't planning to propose until years from now. He was afraid she'd freak out if she knew he was planning to do it in the near future.

Dez scoffed. "You know what I'm talking about! The advice about ma"—

"—aking pancakes!" Austin finished, feeling tiny beads of sweat form on his brow. "Yeah, I asked Dez if I should share my secret pancake recipe with you, and he said yes!" Ally frowned. Austin only acted this way when he was hiding something. What was that all about?

"Um, that's great!" Ally exclaimed. "That'll be fun, we can use it to make breakfast when we're on tour." She hopped off of Austin's lap. "I have to use the restroom. Trish, come with me?"

Trish nodded. Ally dragged her friend around the corner and behind a potted plant, where they peered out at Austin and Dez.

"Well, they're certainly acting weirder than usual," Trish whispered. "I wonder what that was about?"