Ten: Rings & Reflections

three months later

A little over three months later, a flustered Austin burst into the music factory. "Trish, I need your help!"

Trish, who'd been sitting over on the couch, already researching venues for the international tour, groaned and looked over at him. "Austin, international tour hasn't started yet. I don't have to cater to your every need!"

"No, no, it's not about tour...for once. It's about Ally's engagement ring." Trish's eyes grew wide.

"Oh my gosh, did you pick it out? Let me see!" she squealed, running over to him.

"Uh, yeah! We did," Austin smiled slightly, and it turned into a frown. "But... there's a little problem."

"Well, what's the problem?"

Austin cleared his throat. "Dez?" Dez waltzed into the factory, the song "Single Ladies" blasting from his phone. There, on his left ring finger, sat Ally's engagement ring that Austin had picked out less than an hour before. Trish narrowed her eyebrows.

"Why is Dez wearing Ally's ring?" She asked a little too loudly.

"Well..." Austin started, but Dez interrupted him.

"I wanted to try it on, but it got stuck," he mused, not seeming to have a problem with wearing his best friend's soon-to-be-fiancé's ring. He danced around to the song, flipping his left hand back and forth like Beyoncé. "We tried everything."

"Not everything," Trish mumbled and went up to Dez, grabbing his hand. "We're getting this thing off one way or another." Dez shrieked in terror, and Trish added, "Yeah, you should be scared."

/

two hours earlier

Austin sat in his car outside Dez's house, rubbing his hands together. They were already starting to get clammy, and he wiped them on his pants. Why won't he hurry up? Austin thought to himself. We were supposed to leave ten minutes ago!

He had discussed going ring shopping with Trish and Dez the day before; Penny was in town for the weekend and Ally would be unable to hang out with them for a few days, making this the perfect time to find her dream ring. Dez had reluctantly agreed to go after Austin begged him, but Trish insisted she had "plans," that of which were reading fashion magazines and taking a nap. She did give them details about what style of ring Ally wanted and reminded them of her size, because she didn't necessarily trust them to pick out a ring themselves. Now, less than twenty-four hours later, they were about to take off for the jewelry store...if only Dez would hurry up.

It was a good five minutes and about seven missed calls later that Dez came out the front door, wearing a sly grin on his face.

"Hey, buddy! You ready to go get the girl of your dreams the ring of her dreams?"

Austin nodded. "Yeah. I'm a little nervous, though. What if I pick out the wrong one? I wish Trish would have come with us."

"Relax, golden toes. We'll be fine. We have that sheet of paper Trish gave us."

"Yeah, that's true. You did remember to bring it, right?"

Dez's eyes widened. "Uhhh, I thought you had it."

Austin groaned. "No, I don't have it! Did you lose it?"

"I thought it was in the pocket of my pants..." Dez thought hard for a minute. "That my mom put in the wash..."

Austin leaned back and put his hands over his face. It's fine, he told himself. Everything will be fine. "Well then, call Trish because I don't remember anything she wrote down."