Twenty: Parents & Pranks

"So, Ally, are you ready to try breastfeeding?" Dacia asked a few hours later after bringing Ava back to the room. She had taken the baby to the nursery after Austin and Ally's friends and family left to give them a bit of a break. Ally nodded hesitantly.

"Uh, I... I think so."

"Don't worry, dear, I'll show you how to do it. It might be a bit painful at first, but you'll get used to it." She picked Ava up and placed her in Ally's arms. Ally greeted her daughter, talking softly to her while Austin watched from the chair a few feet away.

"Well, now I'm scared." Dacia laughed, apologizing and assuring Ally that she had nothing to worry about. She guided Ally through the process, showing her what to do as Austin stood idly by, his eyebrows knit in confusion.

"There you go. Just like that." Ally brought Ava up to her chest, adjusting her position so her daughter could reach. She frowned after Ava latched on momentarily then let go, giving a little yawn.

"Come on, girl, work with me here," Ally mumbled, looking up at Dacia, "Is it normal for them not to latch on the first time?"

"Absolutely. Sometimes it just takes a little while—that's why I wanted to show you how, so she'll hopefully be latching consistently by the time you leave tomorrow."

"Oh, that's right, we're leaving tomorrow," Ally mused, glancing back down at Ava. Her eyes widened. "Oh my gosh, it's your birthday tomorrow, too, Austin! Agh, I can't believe I almost forgot!"

Austin chuckled. "It's okay, Als. You've been a little preoccupied."

"And of course I forgot to get you a present...some wife I am."

"Hey," Austin placed a gentle hand on her shoulder, "You don't have to get me anything. This right here is the best thing you could've gotten me." He grinned down at Ava and Ally smiled sheepishly.

"I mean, I didn't intend for Ava to be born a day before your birthday but..."

"Sometimes, the best things in life are unexpected," Austin mused, gazing into the distance.

"Since when are you so wise?"

"I saw it on a commercial."

"I knew it was too good to be true."

"Hey!"

"Alright, you two, enough bickering," Dacia teased, "I'm going to be right back—I have to check on another patient but press that call button if you need anything."

Austin and Ally both thanked her and turned back towards Ava, whose eyes were slowly drooping shut. Ally groaned.

"Looks like she isn't awake enough to eat right now. We'll just have to try again later." Austin nodded.

"Good plan." He sat back down in the chair and lay his head back. Before long, his eyes had closed too—sleep had been hard to come by the past few days. Ally giggled when she looked over there and saw him sleeping but said nothing as she watched her two favorite humans in the world snooze quietly.

/

the next day- december 29th

austin's birthday

Austin woke up the next morning with a big smile on his face. Ally was over on the bed, staring at her computer so intently that she didn't notice he'd woken up. Ava was over in her bassinet, awake but calm and content. Austin stretched and yawned rather loudly, and Ally looked over, almost startled by the fact that he was awake.

"Morning, Als," Austin smiled, getting up and going over to Ava's bassinet to pick her up, "Morning, Aves."

Ally giggled. "Is that your nickname for her now?"