Nineteen: Austin, Ally & Ava

september 2022

Ally squealed as she ran to the front door and yanked it open, grabbing the package that was sitting on their front step. She went into the kitchen, grabbed a scissors, and sliced it open. Her breath hitched as she pulled out the small, white onesie that read, 'When I grow up, I want to play guitar just like my daddy.' Austin raised his eyebrows and yawned, sauntering into the kitchen.

"Oh, hey, the onesie came," he mused, looking over his wife's shoulder. Austin smiled. "That's pretty cute."

"I know, right?" Ally replied, "I can't wait to tell our fans."

Though they'd already told their closest friends and family about the pregnancy, Austin and Ally had been very careful about keeping it under wraps to the media and their fans. Ally hardly ever went out in public anymore, and when she did, she wore a baggy sweatshirt that covered her stomach. She and Austin wanted to officially announce it themselves when Ally was farther along, and they'd agreed to do it right after the gender reveal party.

"So," Austin said, ruffling his hair with his hands, "how are we doing this?"

"We're going to lean both our guitars up against the wall over there," Ally said, pointing to the wall adjacent to the TV in the living room, "and then put this ukulele in the middle." She gestured to the tiny, pink ukulele that they'd ordered off amazon a few days prior. Austin nodded.

"Great. What about the onesie?"

"For that," Ally smiled, holding the piece of clothing against her stomach, "I was thinking we do a classic side-by-side of the both of us, and then we'll each grab one side of it like this. The camera will be just high enough so you can see both my belly and the onesie—and we might be kissing, too. I'll have to double check with Dez and see what he wants to do."

Austin stifled a laugh. "Wait, Dez is taking the pictures?"

"Yeah, of course. He's one of our best friends, and he's good with cameras." Austin raised his eyebrows.

"And he was willing to do it for free."

"I knew it."

Ally grinned. "Hey, he was the best I could find on short notice. Plus, he was over the moon when I asked him. I couldn't just change my mind."

A few hours later, the doorbell rang and Dez's cheerful face appeared behind it. Ally greeted him and he stumbled in, barely able to carry all of his equipment.

"So," he said, "Where do we start?" Ally directed him over towards the wall, and they did the guitar shot first, leaning the three of them carefully against it and backing away slowly as if too much of a sudden movement would make them topple down. Dez snapped a few pictures and then gave them both a thumbs up, commenting that the photos were looking pretty good. Ally cheerfully made her way over to the dining room table, grabbing the onesie and trotting back over to the living room, her stomach bobbing slightly as she went.

"Okay, now I want you two to stand side-by-side, just like that. Yup, perfect. Let me just adjust the camera angle here...okay, give me a second..." He paused, pressing some buttons to change the settings and move the camera up slightly.

"Alright, I think I've got it. Now, Ally, you hold the left side of the onesie, and Austin, you hold the right." Austin's brow furrowed as he tried to figure out why Dez was telling them to hold the onesie facing the wall.

"You mean, I hold the right and he holds the left?" Ally asked, "Our directions are different than yours." Dez looked confused for a second.

"Ohhhh, right. Yeah, you're right. Ally." He looked up at Austin. "Listen to her."