Two: Video Calls & Venues

the next morning, about 5:30 a.m.

Ally woke up early the next morning solely due to her excitement about Austin's concert that night— not to mention the new announcement she and Austin were supposed to make later that day. There had been tons of confusion on their social media accounts about what was happening, and they had decided to make an official announcement after they called Jimmy and Ronnie.

Shoot. Jimmy and Ronnie.

Ally gulped. Her heart suddenly started to race and she felt her palms get sweaty. She was not looking forward to making that announcement to the heads of both record labels that afternoon. What if they weren't cleared to become an official duo? What if Jimmy and Ronnie got mad at them for not asking first? What if—

Nope. She wasn't going to think about that now. She had to stay positive for Austin's sake. She wasn't going to be the one to make him nervous before the last show of his tour.

Ally climbed out of bed and found some clothes to pull on. She checked her phone, and found there were a ton of new text messages from Austin. She smiled. He was probably just still reeling with excitement from the night before like she was. Ally opened the messages and laughed as she read them all.

12:14 AM: Hey, babe, can't sleep. R u awake?

12:16 AM: Who am I kidding, you're probably fast asleep. Well, I wanted to say that I miss you! I'll see you tomorrow!

12:35 AM: Still sleepless in Miami over here. I've tried everything! There's a chance I'll be a zombie at tomorrow's meeting & at concert. Okay, I'll leave you alone now.

12:47 AM: I've always wondered why buildings are called buildings if they're already built. Any thoughts?

1:34 AM: I don't know why I keep texting you, because you're asleep. But I'm just so excited that we're back together. I can't help myself.

2:07 AM: I just got up and had a bowl of ice cream because I was hungry, but now I'm on a sugar high. Maybe I'll just call Dez and see if he wants to play video games.

Ally shook her head. Video games at 2:00 in the morning? Probably not the best move. She hoped that his zombie-like state wouldn't affect his performance that night. She had tried her best to stay clear of the media these past four years—and avoid any mention of Austin, which had been harder than she'd thought— and now that they were back together, she was looking forward to seeing him perform again.

She was looking forward to a lot of things now that she and Austin were back together— being close to him brought her a kind of comfort she didn't know was possible, which was precisely why they'd been so happy during their senior year of high school. She wanted to hold his hand, to kiss him, to write songs with him, to perform with him... the list went on. After they'd gotten back from the factory the night before, she had lay in bed, staring up at the ceiling and smiling like an idiot thinking about her potential future with Austin. It was hard to contain her excitement.

2:58 AM: Hey, Ally. I texted Dez, but what do you know, he was sleeping too. You won't get these until the morning, but I love you so mu

The message ended abruptly, and Ally sighed, assuming he fell asleep before he could finish it. It was so adorable of him to text her in the middle of the night like that. She had missed him like crazy when she was at Harvard— spent countless nights crying into her pillow, wishing he could come to her door and wrap her in a tight hug as he'd done so many times before— and she had wondered for four years if the feeling was mutual. Evidently, it was. He was probably just making up for lost time. Ally pulled on a shirt and shorts, grabbed a breakfast bar from downstairs, and headed over to the music factory, never letting the smile disappear from her face.