Eighteen: Announcements & Ambition

No matter how hard she tried, Ally couldn't take her eyes off the screen. Now that she had confirmation the baby was okay, she felt like she could at least relax a little. The nurse started to clean the jelly off of Ally's stomach and she sat up on the table.

"Hey, um, could I get a copy of that ultrasound? I'm going to surprise my husband when I get home."

"Sure thing," Daniela replied, pushing a few buttons on her keyboard. Within seconds, Ally had a collection of pictures she could use to tell Austin and a video of the baby's heartbeat, which would both be a surprise. Ally grabbed the pictures gratefully and FaceTimed Trish as soon as she got out to the car.

"So?" Trish asked when she picked up the phone, "What did they say?" Ally held the ultrasound in front of her face.

"You're going to be an aunt!"

Trish shrieked in happiness on the other end of the phone and Ally laughed. "Yeah, that was about how I reacted, too."

"So how are you telling Austin?" Trish questioned, grabbing the drink she'd been sipping on, not taking her eyes off the phone.

"Well, I'm going to cook him a special dinner—baby back ribs, baby corn, baby carrots...if he doesn't get that hint, my backup plan is to take a video of him performing 'Heart Beat' and somehow incorporate the ultrasound in there...I don't really know how yet, though. I'm hoping the dinner will be enough of a hint. Otherwise, I could wait a few days...I found this onesie that says 'When I grow up, I want to play guitar just like my daddy.'"

"Oh my goodness, go with the onesie! That's the most adorable thing I've ever heard!" Trish squealed.

"It is, but I don't know if I can wait that long. Maybe we can use that in the announcement to our fans," Ally replied, "I think I'm going to go with the dinner and the Heart Beat video...I might need Dez's help putting it all together, though."

"You really want to tell Dez your secret before Austin?" Trish exclaimed, "Everyone knows he can't keep a secret!"

"You think I don't know that already?" Ally laughed, "I'm definitely not telling Dez before Austin. I'll just be very vague and say I need help putting audio in the background of another video."

"Ahh, I see." Ally heard Trish slurping her drink in the background. "Well, I should probably let you go. Good luck!"

"Thanks, Trish." Ally hung up the phone and started the car, unable to wipe the smile off her face.

/

fifteen minutes later

When Ally got back home, Austin was sitting on the couch in the living room, strumming some random chords on his guitar. His face lit up when Ally walked in. "Hey, babe," he greeted, neglecting his guitar and coming into the kitchen. "Where were you? You've been gone for a while."

"I told you, I was just running some errands," she replied, setting the groceries on the kitchen table. "I'm going to make a special dinner for us tonight, but I can't tell you why just yet. You're going to love it, though." She retreated back out to her car and grabbed the ultrasounds, which were sitting in the front seat, carefully putting them in her purse and walking back inside.

"What kind of dinner are you cooking?" Austin asked hesitantly, "Ribs, corn, carrots...I mean, I'd never turn down ribs, but..."

"It'll all make sense tonight," Ally replied, "There's a common denominator there."

Austin furrowed his brows. "Why do you have to make everything about math?"

Ally giggled. "You're going to make me ruin the surprise...now, if you'd excuse me, I have to go do something upstairs by myself."