Three: Follow-Ups & Fans

Bzzzz. Bzz. Bzzzzz.

Ally woke up the next morning to a buzz coming from underneath her stomach. She opened her eyes and discovered she had fallen asleep on her phone. Vision still blurry, she dug her phone out and answered with a groggy voice.

"Hello?"

"Ally! Hey, it's me," She heard Trish's surprisingly chipper voice on the other end of the line.

"Trish, why are you calling me? It's so early..."

"What are you talking about? It's 10:00 am! I just got a message from Jimmy; they made a decision and they're going to call back in a half an hour. Get your butt down here!"

Ally glanced at her alarm clock and gulped. I don't get it, she thought. I never oversleep.

"I'll be right there." She hung up, threw on yesterday's clothes, which were still lying on the floor, and rushed out the door without bothering to grab anything for breakfast.

Meanwhile at Sonic Boom, Trish, Austin, and Dez were preparing for the follow-up call.

"Well, this is weird," Austin said, glancing at the clock. "It's not like Ally to be late like this. She's usually on time."

Trish nodded. "Not usually, always. She's always on time."

"Maybe she got eaten by zombies," Dez said, looking genuinely worried. "Or run over by alpacas. I mean, it's Miami. Anything can happen!" He started chewing his fingernails.

Austin's eyes widened. "You're right. What if something happened to her?"

Trish rolled her eyes. "Nothing happened to her, Austin. Calm down."

"But how do you know?" Austin whimpered.

"Cut it out, Dez," Trish demanded. She turned to Austin. "Austin, I assure you, Ally is completely fine. I talked to her a few minutes ago—She was probably just up late working on a song or something."

/

fifteen minutes later

Just as Trish was about ready to pummel Dez for worrying Austin by claiming she had been eaten or run over by various types of creatures (real or mythical), Ally ran into the store, with unbrushed hair and teeth and rosy red cheeks. "Sorry I'm late guys. I don't know what happened! I never oversleep!" Austin ran toward his girlfriend and embraced her in a big hug.

"My little goose pickle is okay!"

Ally narrowed her eyebrows. "Yeah, of course I'm fine. Why wouldn't I be?"

Trish sighed. "Dez has been worrying Austin sick for the past twenty minutes. He kept suggesting that stuff happened to you, and Austin believed him."

"He said that you might have gotten run over by zebras. Thank goodness those aren't real, huh?" Austin said with a dismissive laugh, pulling Ally in tighter.

"But zebras are real," she said, then paused. "I'm getting déjà vu here— I swear we've had this conversation before."

Austin nodded. "Yeah, we have. But I still don't believe you." They both smiled, and Trish grinned slightly.

"As much fun as I'm having listening to this discussion, you guys have a video call in three minutes and Ally's hair isn't brushed," She grabbed her bag, pulled out a travel brush, and handed it to Ally. "It's for your own good."

Ally rolled her eyes and went upstairs to the bathroom to brush her hair while the other three logged onto the computer and set up the video chat. It started ringing just as she came back to the main room and sat down.