Faces, Old and New

(y/n) unconsciously gripped the hilt of his sword tighter as he stepped through the front gate of Tolbana. The town was similar in style to the Town of Beginnings. It had simple buildings and roads with small blotches of greenery scattered throughout.

(y/n) felt dozens of eyes on him as he walked. If he focused his hearing, he could also hear hushed whispers.

Random players: "Who the hell is that? That guy looks dangerous. What's with the black, is he emo or something? That guy totally looks like a bandit leader."

(y/n) sighed as he continued his stroll, grateful for the fact that his helm hid his scowl. He had been in the town all of ten seconds and he was already being demonized.

(y/n)'s eyes flicked from side to side as he tried to walk nonchalantly. His scowled deepened when he spotted a group of lower level players being harrassed by orange ones.

(y/n): "Worthless trash..."

???: "Do you mean the bandits or the victims."

(y/n) turned towards voice that spoke in a familiarly sarcastic tone. He came face to face with a new yet familiar player.

(y/n): "Both."

The player's eyebrows raised in surprise at (y/n)'s gruff answer.

(y/n) squinted as he looked the newcomer up and down. He had messy black hair and steel grey eyes. His face suggested he was on the younger end of his teenage years. A one-handed long-sword rested on the player's back.

(y/n) noticed that the stranger was sizing him up as well. (y/n) smirked as he spotted the simple black leather armor.

(y/n): "I feel like I've seen you somewhere before..."

???: "That so?"

(y/n): "You wouldn't happen to the Black Swordsman would you?"

The player's eyes widen in slight shock as he looked (y/n) over another time. He then leaned in and spoke in a hushed voice.

???: "You're a beta-tester, aren't you..."

(y/n) nods

(y/n): "How else would I know your nickname Kirito?"

Kirito shrugs.

Kirito: "If you know my name then we've met before. I feel like I recognize your get-up."

Kirito squinted as he inspected the black iron armor (y/n) wore with pride.

Kirito: "Remind me of your name?"

(y/n): "(y/n)."

Kirito's eyes widened in shock and disbelief.

Kirito: "You're that badass black knight! You're an avid PK-er if I remember right."

(y/n) chuckles

(y/n): "Yup. We slew each other many times during the beta."

Kirito nods as they continue walking. After a few moments, he steps out in front of (y/n) as his eyes burn with a question

Kirito: "I thought you were a girl? You're not some weirdo that likes catfishing people right?"

(y/n) face palms

(y/n): "No! I just liked the female black knight armor design more than the male one. Besides, having a smaller hitbox is always helpful."

(y/n) breathes a sigh of relief as Kirito accepts his answer.