Fashionably Late

The light of the early morning sun bleeds through the blinds of the window, slowly rousing (y/n) from his slumber. (y/n)'s eyes open groggily as he looks around the room. (y/n) sighs when he sees the sterilized white floors and squeaky clean table tops.

(y/n): "The hospital... again..."

(y/n) grunts as he pushes himself up in his extremely uncomfortable hospital bed. (y/n) looks around the room, searching for the TV remote. (y/n) finally finds it but the remote was just out of reach. (y/n) really didn't want to call one of the nurses to get it for him.

(y/n) sighed again as he looked down at his legs, his entirely useless legs. (y/n) had gotten into a car crash a few years prior that had robbed him of the use of his legs, and his older sister. She had died instantly in the crash, but (y/n) was thrown out the front windshield, saving his life.

Not a day went by when (y/n) thought that it should have been him that died and not his sister. She had just graduated from medical school and was on her way to becoming an emergency surgeon.

The death of his sister and the loss of his legs tore (y/n) apart inside. His life had been of one of misery and regret ever since that fateful night. (y/n) shook the thought out of his head, forcing the tears that had been threatening to come out back into his eyeballs.

(y/n) cleared his throat as determination filled him. He pushed himself up and managed to wiggle his way to the edge of the bed. He then reached down and grabbed his legs, swinging them over the edge of the bed. He leaned forward and reached as far as he could for his wheelchair. His fingers just barely touched the handle when he slid off the bed and got dumped onto the floor.

(y/n) huffed while lying face down on the floor. He looked up at his wheelchair and sighed. After a few minutes of serious struggle, (y/n) managed to open up his wheelchair and pull himself up into it. 

Now mobile, (y/n) wheeled over to the TV remote and switched it on. (y/n) sat in boredom watching the stupid cartoons that were the only thing on in the morning. (y/n) sat for a few minutes, thinking about how his day would go today.

His mother would be back to pick him up later that day and he could go home. That was several hours away however and (y/n) was stuck in this room until the one of the doctors got a nurse to take him out.

(y/n) sighed yet again in disappointment as the channel suddenly changed. (y/n) narrowed his eyes and studied the headline carefully

Breaking News! Thousands trapped in Sword Art Online Video Game!

(y/n)'s eyebrow shot up in surprise as he read it over again.

(y/n): "People are trapped in SAO? Like one of those Isekai stories I always hear about?"

(y/n) scratched at his scars on his face as he thought to himself. The news continued and went on to explain the full scope of the situation. Apparently, people were trapped in the Full Dive MMORPG Sword Art Online. If someone tried to remove the Full Dive Headset or if the player died in the game, the headset would fry their brains and kill them for real.

(y/n) eyes widened as he heard this. Crazy thoughts began to run through his head as he watched the news.

(y/n): "If you die in the game, you die in real life huh? Doesn't sound like a bad way to go out..."

As soon as the first VR game came out, (y/n) was instantly obsessed. These games were a way for him to completely escape the torture that was his real life. He couldn't walk normally but in a VR game, he could have his legs back... He could do things he would never ever be able to do IRL.