TAMAKI AMAJIKI

"Lost and Found" - Tamaki Amajiki x male reader

» Genre: Angst
 » Summary: Soulmate AU where the name of your soulmate appears on your wrist around your 18th birthday - but Tamaki is hopelessly in love with you
» Warnings: Anxiety, self-doubt, violence, fires, death
» Words: 2.9k
» Author's Note: I finished this in October and I'm just posting this now oops

Soulmate AU where the name of your soulmate appears on your wrist around your 18th birthday

Every single time Tamaki left the 3-A Alliance to go to his work study at the Fat Gum Agency, he felt a pit in his stomach. The thought of having to talk to people, to take responsibility for civilians' lives, to be confronted by villains and so much more could not scare him more. It terrified him to the point where his hands shook as he stuffed his hero costume into his bag and was barely able to speak a word when Kirishima tried to make Smalltalk with him on the train.

Sure, in battles Tamaki was able to react quickly, and according to the people around him he was strong, but as soon as he was able to think clearly again and the excitement of the fight had worn off, he froze once again.

Tamaki knew that he should loosen up a little or he would never become a decent hero – at least, that was what he kept telling himself. Every single person he had worked with was so much better than him and instead of being encouraged by that fact to do better in order to keep up with everyone else, it made him lose all his motivation and self-confidence.
There were Mirio and Nejire who were working so incredibly hard to be pros, there was Kirishima, the young man who, even though he suffered from some confidence issues himself, never gave up, and there was you always giving your very best and with a bright future ahead - Tamaki could not keep up with anyone.
He always admired other people from afar, silently cheered them on during battles, those people being Kirishima and you most of the time.

Even though you went to a different school than the rest of Fat Gum's current interns, Tamaki knew you quite well – it was not the first time the two of you interned at the agency together. It was a silent agreement between Tamaki and you to come back to Fat Gum every year and you had lived through quite some fights together already. The current work study was the same as always, the only difference being that Kirishima was tagging along.

Your school uniform already neatly laid on the bench in the changing room of the agency when Tamaki and Kirishima entered, but you were nowhere to be seen.
"He's early today," Kirishima commented as he tossed his bag next to yours and kicked his normal shoes off. "It was kind of lonely without you last week, Y/H/N and I missed you."
The week before, anxiety had got the best of Tamaki and he had not been able to go to the work study, leaving Kirishima alone with you. "He'll probably be happy to see you, man!"
That caught Tamaki off guard. He felt his face heating up in less than a second as he desperately tried to think of something to say. He wanted to go home. Maybe he should have stayed at the dorms like last week. Maybe he should never put a foot outside his room ever again – yeah, that was probably the best thing to do.

"W-what are you t-talking about?"
"You know what I mean!" Kirishima punched his arm playfully and Tamaki winced. "It's obvious that you like him!" The blush rose to the tips of Tamaki's ears and he turned away from Kirishima to hide his face. Was it really that obvious? Did everyone know? Maybe you knew and hated him for it?

His heartbeat went faster and faster, he was sure that if he did not get out of this situation quickly, he would have a heart attack. "Don't- don't be ridiculous."
"Aww, come on man-" Kirishima obviously wanted to say more but he stopped himself, which Tamaki was glad about. He pulled his costume out of his bag, as well as the white tape that he would use to cover the name on his wrist.