Ch 8

Chapter 8

Lynn

Alice called me later that night demanding we go out. I felt bad. I had been home more than a week and had yet to see her, so now I'm standing in front of my mirror trying to decide what to wear. She wanted me to go to this club the next town over. She said it was a country fusion club, which apparently meant they played both country music, and hip hop. I was trying to decide between a white cotton dress and my boots or jean heels ad a low cut top. I'm about to call Alice and ask her when Kip pokes his head in my room.

"I let Snow graze in the small padlock. Any way you can bring her in in about an hour?"

"No, I'm sorry I'm going out with Alice." I say biting my lip, "She should be here any minute. Sorry."

"It's ok" he runs his hand through his hair, "I'll just bring her in before I leave. Have fun." He closes the door as he leaves and I look at my choices again.

"Wait, Kip!" I call out to him in a moment of desperation.

"Yea?" he says popping his head back into my room.

"I'm going dancing with Alice tonight," I say shyly, holding up the outfits, "What should I wear?"

Kips eyebrows shoot up and he blows out a puff of air, "of come on, Lynn. You know I don't know 'bout any of this."

"But you're a guy!" I pout, "just imagine I'm a girl you find attractive, what would you want to see me in?"

I can tell kip feels awkward and I'm immediately embarrassed by how I asked. He shuts his eyes briefly, blows out another puff of air, and looks at the choices.

"ok so I'm gonna say no to the dress right off the bat," he says in all seriousness, "your gonna' be dancin' with guys you don't know and I don't wanna have to come and kick some guys ass for reachin' under your skirt, that shirts out too." I smile, loving that he's trying. "I'd say your boots with the jeans, and uh, maybe that yellow tank top thing you wore at the airport?"

"I never even thought of that!" I run over to my closet, it's a beautiful yellow flowy tank top that have these bright blue flowers. It shows enough skin that I feel sexy, and is flowy enough that it will look pretty when I dance. Through the open window I fear Alice's rust bucket coming up the drive. "She's here! Thank you so much, Kip." I kiss his cheek and push him out of the room.

I dress quickly, spritzing on some perfume as I run out the door. "Bye, Kip!" I yell when I see him in the pasture. He lifts his hand in a wave.

"Damn that boy is still sexy." Alice says, getting out of her car and watching Kip's exposed stomach as he whips sweat off his forehead with the edge of his shirt.

"Shut up Al," I say, checking my purse, "Let's take my car, I don't feel like dying tonight."

"Don't insult my baby" Alice says, petting the rusted hood. She fallows me to my old jeep, checking Kip out the whole time.

Alice turns up the radio as soon as she gets in. I tear down the driveway loving the bumpy ride of the dirt road. We end up stopping at a diner in town to eat.

"So, I saw your dad last week when I went to visit Grams." She says as we sit down.

"What's wrong with Grams?" I ask.

"I didn't tell you? She broke her hip."

"Oh my god is she ok?"

"Yeah, nothing phases that old bag."

I laugh, it was true. Her grandmother was in her 80s and still spends her nights on the porch shooting wild hogs.

"So," Alice says, pushing away her menu, "fill me in on everything."