Ch 18

Lynn

"Lynn!!!"

I shoot away from Kip like he electrocuted me. Kip turns his Back to me just as Alice pops out from behind a group of guys. She looks between me and Kip, giving me a knowing look.

"Hey Alice," I say, trying to get my heart to stop racing. "You havin' fun?"

"Of course I'm havin' fun!" she smiles, "Are you having fun, Lynn?" I feel my cheeks catch fire, and she laughs. "So, I'm gonna go home with Chris. Kip! You're in charge of getting my friend home safely in bed, alright?" Kip nods stiffly and Alice walks away, pausing long enough to call out "Have fun."

Kip looks down at his boots, his hands shoved into his pockets. I walk back to the bar, away from him. I don't want another drink but I order one anyway. I just need something in my hands, something to do since Kip is looking anywhere but me. I don't say anything, neither does he. The longer we stay quiet, the larger the lump in my throat grows. I take a sip of my beer, trying to wash it away, it doesn't work. I can't do this. I can't pretend nothing happened. I can't pretend we didn't almost kiss.

Gasp.

His hands slip around my waist, his fingers grazing my bare stomach, startling me. I almost drop my beer. My body is on fire, his breath leaving a hot trail up my neck as he gently runs his nose up to my ear. I whimper when his teeth nip at my earlobe.

"Can I take you home?" He asks, as if I'd ever refuse. I can't speak, the lump in my throat now replaced with my heart that jumped from my chest the second he touched me, so I just nod.

That's all Kip needs, he takes my hand and pulls me from the club. When we get to his truck I reach for the handle, eager to get home, but Kip stops me. He turns me to face him, presses my back to the cold metal of the truck. I loop my arms around his neck, pulling myself closer to him, but again he stops me.

"I'm gonna do this right, sweetie. I'm gonna drive you home, walk you to the door, kiss you goodnight, and then I'm going to go sleep in the Loft" I start to protest and he silences me with a single kiss to my bare shoulder. "I know I said I wouldn't leave you alone, but if I sleep on the sofa I know I'm gonna end up crawling into your bed in the middle of the night and making you mine once and for all."

"I don't hate the sound of that," I say, trying again to pull him to me. I see the struggle on his face, but he resists.

"I can't," he whispers, dropping his forehead to mine, "I can't do that to you, you deserve so much more than that, so I'm gonna do it right," he kisses my cheek, "I'm gonna take it slow." he nips the skin under my ear and whispers. "And when the time finally comes, I'm gonna make you forget about every other guy that has ever even looked at you." With that he opens the car door smiling down at me.

On the drive home, I sit in the middle seat and lay my head on his shoulder. He never lets go of my hand, his fingers brushing over my knuckles. It feels nice. I can't take my eyes off of him, that's how I notice his grip tightening on the wheel when I moved, and how his breathing became labored when I would touch him. I couldn't help myself, I slipped my hand from his and placed it on his knee, stroking the material of his jeans. I watch as he fights to keep control, and it fuels me to do more. I turn in my seat and kiss his neck, he groans. I nip at the skin under his ear, and whisper, "Kip."

Kip

She is driving me crazy. She's testing me, this much I know. The way she pushed herself against me; she's not playing fair. I was doing good at keeping control until she said my name. For some reason, hearing my name on her lips broke whatever flimsy layer of self-control I still had. I shoot to the right, down a dirt road I know leads nowhere. Lynn squeals and her grip on my leg tightens, there's no turning back now. I pull off into a ditch on the side of the door and throw open my door, pulling Lynn out with me. I carry her to the bed of my truck, dropping the tail gate with one hand. I set her down on the cold metal, moving to stand between her knees. I look down at her, and I can't help but groan. She's looking up at me with her big eyes, she looks both scared and excited and I need her.