Ch 17

Kip

I sit at the bar, sippin my beer, watching guy after guy get thrown by the bull. There were some girls too, but the technician went slow on them, making it look more like there were ridin' a man rather than a bull.

Lynn plops in the stool next to me.

"Can I get a vodka cranberry light ice? Thank you." She looks at me, and fallows my eyes towards the bull. "How come I've never seen you in any rodeos?"

"I did more of the high school circuit. I've only ridden the amateur circuit a couple times." I tell her, finishing my beer.

"Oh so you sucked," she teases.

"Brat," I laugh, smacking her thigh with my wallet. "I did not suck, I just got caught up with life."

"Ok," she takes a sip of her cocktail. "Now tell me the real story. . ."

I laugh, she knows me too well.

"Ok, where do you want me to start?"

"How did you get into it?"

"Chris, we were 14 and he dared me to ride that bronc his dad was trying to brake. I lasted 5 seconds, broke my arm in 3 places, and never felt better. I was hooked."

"Then what happened?"

"My parents lost the ranch. I did rodeos more, hoping to win big. I wanted to buy the ranch back. Silly I know. Can I get another beer?"

"That's not silly," she smiles behind her glass.

"Yea well, I graduated my uncle got me the job with your dad. I didn't have time anymore and when I did I was terrified of getting hurt and losing the job."

"My dad wouldn't have fired you." She defends.

"I know that now!" I laugh.

"So why don't you go ride that?" She motions to the now empty bull.

"I will."

"What are you chicken," she laughs again butting her lip.

"Ok little miss big mouth, why don't ya go show me how it's done."

"You don't think I will?" I says, already getting off her stool.

"Go on cowgirl." She snatched the hat off my head and I watch her walk to the bull. She goes to the technician and tells him something before climbing onto the padding and to the bull. Everyone is watching as she climbs onto the bull. She locks eyes with me and gives the signal to start.

It starts out slow, every guy watching her, picturing she was on them instead of the bull. Suddenly the bull picks up speed. Lynn holds her own, the bull throwing her from side to side. She's doing pretty well. I find myself smiling as I watch her, clinging to the rope with both hands screaming as she's tossed onto the foam pit below her. Everyone claps for her, I can see the blush creeping up her neck as she walks to me.

I clap as she gets closer. "Good job, cowgirl."

"Keep laughing, I told the tech your next."

"Wait... What? Are you serious?" I ask, she just smiles.

"Ok so we have a challenge for you guys." The Dj voice comes over the speaker. "The beautiful Lynn had challenged a mister Kip to ride the bull."

I look at Lynn who is trying to control her laughter.

"So let's hear it y'all. Kip, where are you?"

"He's right here!" Lynn yells, pointing at me. Everyone turns to look at me. People start clapping and Lynn laughs, pushing me off my stool.

Lynn

I pull Kips hat lower on my head as he walks to the bull. He looks a cross between pissed and amused. I laugh to myself knowing he's cursing me in his head. He looks good in his wranglers, I can see several girls checking him out. I can't blame them, he has this whole rugged cowboy thing going on. He gets on the bull, positioning himself as though he was in the loading shoot.

He looks at me, and I can't tell seeing as he's so far away but I swear he winks a second before the bull starts spinning. He keeps in form, kicks his feet, keeps one hand in the air, he passes the 8 second mark, the 15 second make soon he's on his way to 30 seconds. People are cheering, everyone's on their feet. One final jerk and kip is on the ground, 3 seconds shy of the 30 second mark. More than twice as long as anyone else tonight. I can't believe that was only 27 seconds, it felt like an eternity. Kip stands up, smiling brighter than I've seen him smile in years. He rushes over to me and picks me up off the bar stool crushing me in a hug and spinning me around. He puts me back on the floor and leans his forehead against mine.

"Thank you," he whispers, his lips just a breath away from mine. My breath gets caught in my throat and I can feel my heart beating in over every inch of my body. I can't stop looking at his lips. They part ever so slightly, his tongue darting out sweeping across his bottom lip and I find myself moving in. Wait, no, he's the one moving. My lips part, my eyes slowly closing_

"Lynn!!!"