Chapter 1 - Sophie's POV

I threw myself into bed, sobbing like there was no tomorrow.

That was it.

Fitz was no longer there.

I had stared at the empty space for who knows how long, replaying in my mind how Fitz had glittered away. After many hours passed, I was still sitting there. Edaline had soon come out, looking at me worriedly.

"Are you okay, dear?" She had asked gently. "What happene-" she asked. Or at least, tried to ask. She had gotten cut off because I had suddenly come to my senses, and ran sobbing up to my bedroom.

Snap! I raised my head blearily to see a tray of mallowmelt land on my bed. Thank you, Edaline. I thought, already gobbling down several of the treats.

"Whoa Foster. You sure can eat fast." I looked up to see Keefe leaning against my doorframe, his face carrying his signature smirk.

My cheeks reddened. "Oh, that's why Edaline brought these up," I mumbled, staring at the tray.

Keefe turned to Ro. "What was that?" He asked, quirking an eyebrow. When I didn't answer, he just shrugged and continued. "Look at our little moonlark. She's not even sharing! Tsk tsk." He crossed the room in a few strides and sat on my bed with me. "In case you didn't get the hint, Foster," He leaned closer. "I want some too!"

I somehow resisted the urge to laugh and spew half-chewed mallowmelt all over his face.

He leaned back and plucked one from the tray, staring at me while he chewed.

"Smooooooooth, Hunkyhair. Real smooth," Ro called from the doorway. "Yet somehow little miss oblivious still managed to keep the act going. Though the act is getting less cute." She slow-clapped, and the sound bounced around the room.

My face burned. What was Ro talking about? What act? I decided to grab another mallowmelt before I could solve the questions in my head.

I finished chewing first. Keefe sure was taking a seriously long time with that treat. "Ahem." I cleared my throat. "So. Why are you guys here?"

"Aw, I thought you missed me!" He had at last finished his mallowmelt and glanced dramatically at Ro. "Turns out she doesn't want us. Maybe we should leave."

"Wait no!" I shouted as Keefe's hand drifted towards he home crystal, hating the slight edge of desperation in my voice. "Don't go yet," I pleaded, my voice cracking. I realized that I needed to talk to someone about... last night.

"Whew, Foster, you're hitting me with some pretty intense emotions," Keefe said, fanning the air in front of him and slightly smirking when I scowled.

Empaths, I thought. "I... you... you can stay," I finally said, tugging at an itchy eyelash.

Keefe's smirk dimmed slightly and he scooted closer to me. "Everything okay?" He asked, laying his hand on mine.

"Yeah... it's just..." But I couldn't bring myself to say it. "I... me... and... Fitz..." I choked out but couldn't keep on going.

His hand tightened on mine, but his tone was surprisingly gentle when he asked, "What happened?" In a lower voice, he muttered. "I swear if he did anything..."

"Well..." I held back a sob, then released it all, recounting every single detail, from Fitz's guess of who my biological mother was, to him pleading for me to tell the Matchmaking Registry, to his cold, cold eyes as he shimmered away into the night.

All of it just spilled out of me like a tsunami of words, and Keefe was all listening attentively to it all, squeezing my hand or patting my shoulder consolingly at times.

When my stream of words ended, I gulped and closed my eyes, and Keefe's shoulder bumped mine, offering me his shoulder to cry on.

I accepted, shifting my body and burying my face in his shoulder. I felt the tears streak down his tunic, and his hands holding me in a hug.

I don't know how long I  just sat there, leaning against Keefe, until he gently said, "Foster."

"Hmm?" I asked, straightening up and returning to my normal seat.

"Are you okay?" he immediately asked.

"I'm... fine..." I sniffled, trying to hide my tears.

I could tell that he didn't believe me. "Hey... how about we get some fresh air outside? I bet Glitter Butt's dying to see me."

"Okay... I guess?" I said as he tugged my arm up until we were both standing. He was grinning now.

"I guess?" Keefe asked, faking incredulity. "I'm the Great and Powerful Keefinator! Of course you want to spend time with me!" He marched me towards my door, and I couldn't help but smile as he led me downstairs.

Grady was sitting at the table, studying some scrolls. When he saw me and Keefe, he quickly rolled them up and turned towards Keefe.

"What are you doing up here?" He asked, glaring slightly at Keefe. "I swear if you did anything..." He muttered, and I had to keep in a giggle when I remembered how he said the same thing about Fitz. Fitz... I thought, my smile fading. Which reminded me of why we were here in the first place.

"Dad! We're only going for a walk around the animal enclosures!" I whined. He humphed.

"Well, I don't trust That Boy!" He said.

"Don't worry, I'll keep them safe." Sandor and Ro cut in at the same time.

I groaned. "Can we please go already?"

"Yeah!" Keefe chipped in. "Glitter Butt's awaiting me!"

Indeed, when we walked over to Silveny, my head filled with shouts of Keefe! Keefe! Keefe!

Keefe somehow seemed to know what Silveny was saying and patted her. "Good to see you too, Glitter Butt."

Silveny neighed. Glitter Butt! Glitter Butt! Glitter Butt!

I groaned.

"Is Silveny giving you a hard time?" He teased.

"Yep." I groaned again. "She's obsessed with 'Glitter Butt', as you call her."

"Aw! you see, Foster, not even alicorns can escape this Keefe-Awesomeness right here." He pointed to himself, and I laughed.

"You do seem to have a way with animals," I noted.

"And a way with people," He added, flashing his famous smirk. He held his hands wide and apart, as if inviting the world to hug him. "I mean, everyone loves me. Don't you, Foster?" He mussed his hair up and batted his eyelashes.

I giggled, but then Keefe leaned in more and my heart switched to hummingbird mode. God, he was so close!

"Interesting change of emotions, Foster," he said, leaning back then smirking again.

"Empaths," I grumbled, resisting the urge to swat that cocky smirk off his face.

"I know. Empaths give you all. The. Feels," he said.

"No, they don't!" I blushed, scampering away from him.

"You forget, I'm an Empath. I know exactly what you're feeling," he said, pairing his words with a saucy wink.

"Oh, shut up," I said half-heartedly. "Aren't we supposed to be taking a walk?"

And so we progressed on, touring the grounds of Havenfield, laughing, and chatting. it felt so natural, and I wanted to stay in that happy little bubble with Keefe forever.

In the end, when we had rounded back to Havenfield, he held open the door for me and bowed, saying, "M'lady,"

I giggled slightly, blushing. "Thanks, Keefe." I smiled at him. "Thanks for making this day great," I said sweetly, crushing him in my teddy-bear hug.

"You're welcome, Foster," he said, his voice slightly muffled.

I smiled, and after a few seconds let go. Then I watched him hold up his home crystal to the light and glitter away.